White faced black Spanish enthusiasts, come hither!

Pics
Thanks
big_smile.png

We got a straight run of 5 WFBS and ended up with 4 roosters and 1 hen in May this year. We kept one rooster and the hen (we have 4 other breeds that we keep with them). I named the rooster Mr. Nice Guy (El Sympatico) and he is the BEST ROOSTER EVER. He actively manages his hens (blue andalusians). I call them the lilac gang because all summer they would hop outside the run and hang out under a big lilac bush that we have on the property. Mr. NG has been feeding the hens since he was a few months old, and has recently taken to making them nests in the straw bales that we keep by the coop. The hens love it. He is easily handled and very friendly and curious with my boyfriend and I.

The other roosters were very aggressive, but Mr. NG was always gentle and sweet with the hens. I started calling him MNG and my boyfriend said that "Nice Guys finish last"..... he was sooooo wrong!!

K

Well, today is a day I've waited a long time for! The first one of my white faced black Spanish pullets that I got back in June reached point of lay today & we got our first WFBS egg ever! I saw the little pullet come out of the henhouse singing egg song, but all of the WFBS pullets have been singing eggsong along with the other hens for a couple of weeks now. Apparently, she was singing for herself today because I found a very warm, little off-white pullet egg in the nest with a little blood streak on it.

I have 11 of these girls that are the same age & I have been hoping they would start laying soon. I need to get rid of these boys, though. They're ornery!

Congrats on the Pullet egg! We have been hatching right along and WOW those Large Fowl Chicks grow fast. It seems like we are forever moving them to a larger area and the oldest are only 3 weeks old. We will be keeping extras for ourselves this year, but will be having many for sale. So if anyone is interested in WF Large Fowl Chicks let us know early so we can add you to our list. We usually only do straight run, but if they are old enough to tell the difference we will try and ship some of each. Lund Poultry

Hubby got a couple of semi-decent pics of our flock with his camera over the last few days. Wanted to share them.

I like to call this picture, "May I help you with something??"

59404_1011111832a.jpg

Here's a group that hangs out together. The guy with the orange band on his leg is Big Daddy Fernando. He's gonna be part of my breeding project.

59404_1115111518a.jpg

And here's a nice pic of my mixed flock gossiping at the water cooler after a hard day of foraging and laying eggs:

59404_at_the_water_cooler2_121711.jpg

Last edited:
I am very pleased with the quality of my birds in spite of them being hatchery stock. They're developing well & they're only 6 months old. At least two of the hens are laying now, and two more were "visiting" them today in the nesting boxes and sang the egg song with them when they were done, so I am looking forward to having more!

Some of the hens are of poor quality, and 1 of the roosters has a bizarre-looking comb and a bad attitude, always getting in fights & his "white face" is almost always red, bloody, or healing scabs from a previous scuffle. We're gonna eat him.

Back
Top Bottom