White Flakes On Comb

Wyandotte 123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 4, 2014
My Phoenix Rooster has been living in a extra large dog crate his whole life. Now I have him and he is in a horse box stall with natural light and he can dust bath and do all that. I noticed the other day that he had this white flaking stuff over his large comb. Im wondering whether its a sunburn or something they do during fall/winter or something that is completely unusual.

Hmmm. It looks a little like favus, and unless he is supposed to have white earlobes, it could be on them too. After looking up Phoenix roosters I see they do have white earlobes. Favus is not a big deal unless it spreads all over the flock without treatment. I would get some miconazole or monistat cream, and rub some in daily. Even if it is just dry skin it won't hurt. Here is an advanced case of favus:

21901_roosters_005.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm. It looks a little like favus, and unless he is supposed to have white earlobes, it could be on them too. After looking up Phoenix roosters I see they do have white earlobes. Favus is not a big deal unless it spreads all over the flock without treatment. I would get some miconazole or monistat cream, and rub some in daily. Even if it is just dry skin it won't hurt. Here is an advanced case of favus:

21901_roosters_005.jpg

X2 on the Miconazole anti-fungal cream. Applied every day as a thin coating on all affected areas should clear it up in a week. Keep watch on the eyes and try to keep it out of the eyes if possible. Keep us updated on the progress, Wyandotte. You might want to make a habit of using a disinfectant like Oxine AH that is anti-fungal, viral, bacterial, and mold around the coop. Favus is usually spread from bird to bird since it is a parasitic fungus, so examine your other birds too, keeping waterers and feed troughs clean.

Last edited:
Ok thank you everybody I will run to the store and get that. I recently got him so maybe he got it from the other flock. Scary looking picture, don't want Gus to end up like that!
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom