White Flakes On Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wyandotte 123, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Wyandotte 123

Wyandotte 123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2014
    My Phoenix Rooster has been living in a extra large dog crate his whole life. Now I have him and he is in a horse box stall with natural light and he can dust bath and do all that. I noticed the other day that he had this white flaking stuff over his large comb. Im wondering whether its a sunburn or something they do during fall/winter or something that is completely unusual.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be dry skin that can be treated with oils or cream rubbed into the comb, or possibly favus, a fungal infection, treated by applying miconazole (or monistat) cream daily. Can you post a picture? Here is a link to read about dry skin: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/100146/dry-skin-on-comb/10

3. Wyandotte 123

Jan 4, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't get a good picture of the other side.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hmmm. It looks a little like favus, and unless he is supposed to have white earlobes, it could be on them too. After looking up Phoenix roosters I see they do have white earlobes. Favus is not a big deal unless it spreads all over the flock without treatment. I would get some miconazole or monistat cream, and rub some in daily. Even if it is just dry skin it won't hurt. Here is an advanced case of favus:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2 on the Miconazole anti-fungal cream. Applied every day as a thin coating on all affected areas should clear it up in a week. Keep watch on the eyes and try to keep it out of the eyes if possible. Keep us updated on the progress, Wyandotte. You might want to make a habit of using a disinfectant like Oxine AH that is anti-fungal, viral, bacterial, and mold around the coop. Favus is usually spread from bird to bird since it is a parasitic fungus, so examine your other birds too, keeping waterers and feed troughs clean.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Wyandotte 123

Jan 4, 2014
    Ok thank you everybody I will run to the store and get that. I recently got him so maybe he got it from the other flock. Scary looking picture, don't want Gus to end up like that![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by