White flecks on chicken's back

GrandmaKatnip

Chirping
5 Years
May 19, 2016
Minnesota
This past week I have noticed white flecks on the backs of most of my chickens. I don't know what mites would look like, but has anyone experienced this? 3-4 flecks per chicken. They won't let me pet them to see if it rubs off. Thanks for the help. They are about 12 weeks old.

Could be mites or could be normal feather flaking. Catch one and get a close look. If the white speck is moving it's most likely a mite.

At 12 weeks my guess would be that they are molting their "baby feathers" and growing adult ones. The feather casings shed as the feather grows and it sort of looks like dandruff. My 13 week olds are in full molt now and there's feathers everywhere in the coop! Mites I have seen are brown/black and lice is kind of brown/orange and you usually need to separate feathers to find them on the skin.

At 12 weeks my guess would be that they are molting their "baby feathers" and growing adult ones. The feather casings shed as the feather grows and it sort of looks like dandruff. My 13 week olds are in full molt now and there's feathers everywhere in the coop! Mites I have seen are brown/black and lice is kind of brown/orange and you usually need to separate feathers to find them on the skin.

Our chicks are only 3 weeks old and they are getting the white flecks on the top of their feathers like dandruff. Their tail feathers and wing feathers are just coming in. Do you still think it is the feather casings being released as new feathers come in?

Attachments

• white specks on feathers of chicks.jpg
    white specks on feathers of chicks.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 26
  • white specks.jpg
    white specks.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 24
This past week I have noticed white flecks on the backs of most of my chickens. I don't know what mites would look like, but has anyone experienced this? 3-4 flecks per chicken. They won't let me pet them to see if it rubs off. Thanks for the help. They are about 12 weeks old.
i have something like that but it is more of a cylinder like shape do you know what it is yet?

Back
Top Bottom