White flecks on chicken's back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GrandmaKatnip, Jul 23, 2016.

1. GrandmaKatnip

GrandmaKatnip Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    This past week I have noticed white flecks on the backs of most of my chickens. I don't know what mites would look like, but has anyone experienced this? 3-4 flecks per chicken. They won't let me pet them to see if it rubs off. Thanks for the help. They are about 12 weeks old.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Could be mites or could be normal feather flaking. Catch one and get a close look. If the white speck is moving it's most likely a mite.

3. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    At 12 weeks my guess would be that they are molting their "baby feathers" and growing adult ones. The feather casings shed as the feather grows and it sort of looks like dandruff. My 13 week olds are in full molt now and there's feathers everywhere in the coop! Mites I have seen are brown/black and lice is kind of brown/orange and you usually need to separate feathers to find them on the skin.

4. GrandmaKatnip

GrandmaKatnip Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Thank you! Whew! Yes, I have feathers all over the coop, too! So glad to know that it is to be expected. As a new Chicken Mom, I have SO many questions!

5. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    No prob! Give it a year and all this stuff becomes "normal" lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by