Chirping
6 Years
Jan 16, 2017
MB Canada
20F79120-33C0-42D7-B139-7DB8FBA41B77.jpeg
CCBCB49F-6D41-4084-8EEB-D586C6513715.jpeg
47CDF517-B225-4D9F-BB6F-6B3DD9FC5A81.jpeg
Hi all,
I’ve tried to do some research but can’t find info on this or not looking in the right spots. One of my peacocks has white feathers on his wings and one of his offspring has also but not the others from him. Is this a common trait? Also included a picture of them checking out the cat

Three possibilities ... three patterns.
- split white. (one gene white).
- split pied. (one gene pied).
- Dark pied. (two genes pied).

Most likely split White from the breeding results. Since he gives one of his two chromosomes to every chick, if he was Dark Pied meaning that he has a Pied marker on both chromosomes, every chick would have the Pied gene. So he most likely only carries one White gene.

I’m trying to figure out the genetics of the white flight feathers in some of my birds as well. I had one peacock with white on his flights. He produced a peahen with white on her flights as well as birds without the white. I kept her and put her in another pen with an unrelated peacock and another peahen. This season I got birds with white flights out of both pens as well as birds with no white and a pied chick out of each pen. I just want to be able to label them properly when I sell them. Thanks in advance for any help.

Try to find a white peacock!
To break the curse of 2/3 white feathers.
Goal ... get pied peacocks! ... and that in 2022 ! :wee

I’m trying to figure out the genetics of the white flight feathers in some of my birds as well. I had one peacock with white on his flights. He produced a peahen with white on her flights as well as birds without the white. I kept her and put her in another pen with an unrelated peacock and another peahen. This season I got birds with white flights out of both pens as well as birds with no white and a pied chick out of each pen. I just want to be able to label them properly when I sell them. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you put her with a White cock and if she is a Dark Pied you will produce 100% Pied chicks. If you put her back to daddy you will get White, Pied, and split to chicks.

Back
Top Bottom