White "gel" stuck on to my chicken's butt? Please help! Emergency!

Pics
May 25, 2021
Edmond (Snohomish County) WA
This morning when we let our chickens out to free range in the yard, all of them were fine. Then one of my chicken, a 2 year old Speckled Sussex hen just stopped playing and digging and went back to the cage just standing their, but no symtoms of any sorts of sickness yet. After we came back around 3:00 and went to check on her, she started pooping but little came out. Than this clear gel-ish stuff came but she just couldn't get it out. It looked a bit like egg white to me, but there was no yolk. Now its just stuck there and you can tell she's not feeling well. She was fine this morning and I don't know how this happened. I looked it up and the most matching case was this diease called "Prolapse Vent (in chickens)". The pictures looked similar, but more blood and less of this clear stuff. This is my first time encountering a situation like this and I have no idea how to deal with it. The other chickens are currently fine. We don't have any antiseptic or anything like it. All we have is this VetRx Poultry Aid but we don't really know how to use it. Might she die? Pictures below:

Attachments

• attachments (4).zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 18
  • attachments (3).zip
    18 MB · Views: 9
  • attachments (2).zip
    18 MB · Views: 6
  • attachments (1).zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 10
Looks to me like egg white. She could of had a shell less egg break inside of her. If you have not seen the yolk it’s possible it’s still inside her. I would give her a calcium citrate tablet if you have. It will help force contractions. Tums could work if you don’t have the other.

It doesn’t take long for infection to set in if it is an egg that broke and the yolk is still inside. If she starts acting lethargic she needs to be started on an antibiotic. I have used amoxicillin with this happened to one of mine. If you do not have it on hand it can be found at most pet stores or tsc. They sell it as fish ammox or aquamox. Dosage is 125mg/kg (125mg per 2.2 pounds) every 12 hours.

20220525_074116.png 20220525_074837.png

Attachments

• 20220525_074116.png
    20220525_074116.png
    491.7 KB · Views: 2
I would start her on amoxicillin asap. Chickens can go downhill very quickly and you really don't want infection to set in. Hopefully the egg was soft-shelled or shell-less. Sometimes a shelled egg can break and the pieces can really cut up the hen, but you would probably have seen more blood. I would also bring her inside so you can better monitor her, and so she can rest and none of the others get curious and start picking at her vent.

Yeah I didn't know that, so I pushed it in. But when we were blow drying her she just pooped them all out again. This time it's not clinging on to her bum. She is also definitely much more energized than before the bath(taking a walk around the house right now!).
That's good to hear. Have you given her a calcium supplement (it helps with contractions to push the egg material out)? And I really would look to find some amoxicillin nearby just in case.

Back
Top Bottom