White "gel" stuck on to my chicken's butt? Please help! Emergency!

All things considered she's looking good. If you soak the pellets in a little water they should get mushy which is sometimes more appealing to chickens. Also if you have plain yogurt you can mix a spoonful into her food and see if she likes that. I'd try getting back to plain water and food, but if she's not eating enough she'll need some sugar water to keep up her energy.

If there is still egg yolk inside her it's like petri dish that will just breed bacteria and make her sick, but maybe she expelled the egg yolk part yesterday before you noticed the whites hanging out of her? That would be the best case scenario...

Keep us updated on how she does. And keep an eye out for when she's laying... once she lays a normal egg I'd consider this "episode" concluded and hope it was just a random blip, but it's possible she has a reproductive issue developing and you'll see more problems like this.

All things considered she's looking good. If you soak the pellets in a little water they should get mushy which is sometimes more appealing to chickens. Also if you have plain yogurt you can mix a spoonful into her food and see if she likes that. I'd try getting back to plain water and food, but if she's not eating enough she'll need some sugar water to keep up her energy.

If there is still egg yolk inside her it's like petri dish that will just breed bacteria and make her sick, but maybe she expelled the egg yolk part yesterday before you noticed the whites hanging out of her? That would be the best case scenario...

Keep us updated on how she does. And keep an eye out for when she's laying... once she lays a normal egg I'd consider this "episode" concluded and hope it was just a random blip, but it's possible she has a reproductive issue developing and you'll see more problems like this.
I'm not sure if she even will be laying more eggs. It's already winter and I thought she stopped laying eggs like weeks ago, but I'll keep on the watch.

I did notice the tips of her comb look a little dark in the photos... Has is it been like that awhile or is that something new since yesterday?

I don't have any calcium that neither of my parents take, only eggshells. They said it could replace it on the internet.
Check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptied.
If it is and she's doing a little better, I'd be inclined to put her back with her flock and see how she does.

I do understand that the internet says that eggshell *could* replace calcium supplementation instead of oyster shell when feeding and provide calcium for your flock of hens.
Egg shell and oyster shell is completely different from giving a quick uptake of a Calcium tablet to a hen in medical crisis. A good practice is to have Calcium tablets on hand so when this happens again, you will know what to do. Calcium Citrate or Calcium Carbonate are quickly absorbed and can help a hen expel soft shelled eggs, material and also it will help with contractions and retention. You can find Calcium tablets at most any store like the Dollar Store, Walmart, etc.

Hopefully your hen will bounce back and do well for a while. See that she's eating her normal feed. I'd give her plain water. Do provide oyster shell free choice for all of your hens as well as grit (crushed granite).

Check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptied.
If it is and she's doing a little better, I'd be inclined to put her back with her flock and see how she does.

I do understand that the internet says that eggshell *could* replace calcium supplementation instead of oyster shell when feeding and provide calcium for your flock of hens.
Egg shell and oyster shell is completely different from giving a quick uptake of a Calcium tablet to a hen in medical crisis. A good practice is to have Calcium tablets on hand so when this happens again, you will know what to do. Calcium Citrate or Calcium Carbonate are quickly absorbed and can help a hen expel soft shelled eggs, material and also it will help with contractions and retention. You can find Calcium tablets at most any store like the Dollar Store, Walmart, etc.

Hopefully your hen will bounce back and do well for a while. See that she's eating her normal feed. I'd give her plain water. Do provide oyster shell free choice for all of your hens as well as grit (crushed granite).
I just feeled her crop, it's probably a sour crop. The internet says to take out food and water for 24 hours to empty the crop, should I do that?
I will see if I can get some Calcium Citrate soon. She is starting to cluck again now, but still just a little bit. She has a lot plenty of plain water and she's drinking a lot and is pooping. Hopefully she will be better by tomorrow.

Thank you all for your help so far; I really appreciate it! 😇
Hallmark Ecards Thank You GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

Back
Top Bottom