White goop in Roosters eye....Need help!

sc38395

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Philadelphia, TN
I have a Blue Andalusian rooster who has white goopy stuff in one of his eyes, it is also partially closed....not swollen. Is there something I can give him in his water or medication that can help? He is NOT friendly with me so hopefully I don't have to pick him up.

I have not found a vet that will take him that is closer than a one hour drive.

Help, please!
sad.png

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of it? Does he have any other symptoms such as a runny nose, open mouth breathing that might indicate respiratory issues? If not and you think he injured his eye, or really either way, separate. him from your other birds. I'm afraid you will have to handle him so wrap him in a towel. Wipe the gunk from his eyes and apply some neosporin to his eye. MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT HAVE A PAIN KILLER IN IT as it is dangerous to birds. Watch him to see if there are any other symptoms. Wash your hands and change clothes after you handle him so as not to infect any other birds. If it is just an injury, just let him rest and apply oitment as needed. If it progresses you will need an antibiotic such as Tylan.

Before applying the ointment I would rinse it with contact lens saline solution and gently wipe with soaked cotton ball. It has germ killing and soothing properties that will help. Good luck.

Thanks! This is all great advice and I will try it when I get home.

Yes, he has had open mouth breathing....I assumed it was because of the heat we have had here.....85-96 degrees. I hope this isn't something serious....

I have a bunch of babies right now too...12 of them!
I'll seperate him out and use the eye flush suggested here. I'll check the brand of neosporin I have as soon as I get home and try it.

It could be part of an old injury...but I'm to new at this stuff to tell for sure. He is only about 1.5 years old.

I'll try to take a picture of it tonight and post it. Thanks for all the great advice!

Back
Top Bottom