White grub-like thing in chickens skin?

Hennyhoneys

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2022
What is this grub looking thing? It looks to be embedded in the skin and is definitely bothering her.

I only noticed it as I was observing her because other chickens were pecking at her head and she was bloodied for it. After I cleaned her up and then observed to see if they would continue I noticed her going after this area. It looks like a grub with tiny spikes on it.

Attachments

• 82A3A3C0-F5EC-4647-9975-905FC86E5E7D.jpeg
    82A3A3C0-F5EC-4647-9975-905FC86E5E7D.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 18
I don't know how to link to an article here, but if you search this string it will take you to an article.

What to do when your flock is struck by FLYSTRIKE!​

@MarlaMac It’s just the one and it’s larger, though I’ve never seen flystrike. It looks like a maggot but more the size of a small grub.
Different flies have different size maggots. Does it move on its own? Someone asked if it is a preen gland. There are pictures on the internet that show the preen gland that you can look at to see if that is what it is.

Location on the chicken would help to solve that too.

What area is this at? It kind of looks like a preen gland
@Fluffy_Feathers This makes sense LOL! I’m so new to this and was noticing this all as I'm in a rush to be somewhere and just clean up her bloodied head from the others pecking at her. I did see her pecking at it and rubbing her head on it so yes this makes sense. It is at her tail too! Thank you.

Different flies have different size maggots. Does it move on its own? Someone asked if it is a preen gland. There are pictures on the internet that show the preen gland that you can look at to see if that is what it is.

Location on the chicken would help to solve that too.
@MarlaMac I think it is the gland LOL! I’m so new to this and just love having the help of this forum! Here I was really to tweezer it!

What is this grub looking thing? It looks to be embedded in the skin and is definitely bothering her.

I only noticed it as I was observing her because other chickens were pecking at her head and she was bloodied for it. After I cleaned her up and then observed to see if they would continue I noticed her going after this area. It looks like a grub with tiny spikes on it.
Is that where the head of the tail is? Looks like the preening gland. Some chickens have one, double, or fused preen glands.
20230123_145831.jpg

Back
Top Bottom