White Isbar/Siverrudd at 18-19 weeks - Pullet or Cockerel?

kerryb90

Songster
Jan 27, 2021
Bluefield, WV
I have a white isbar/silverrudd named Snicket (they were lemony yellow when they were young) who I got in a mixed lot from Foxfire Farms Poultry (great breeder, highly recommend) and hatched in early May. I had posted previously here when I thought they had laid a fart egg, and I've had a couple more (larger) green chicken eggs show up in the yard since then. Not many, but since the fart egg was laid 12 weeks after the group hatched, I wasn't expecting much!

However, now that Snicket and friends are almost 19 weeks old, I'm starting to have my doubts that it was indeed Snicket who laid that egg. I've determined that there is at least one cockerel from the batch we hatched in May, our pavlovskaya Dmitri, and that he is at or near the bottom of the pecking order (based on the order they leave the coop). Snicket is always the first chicken out of the coop in the morning, and if Snicket is in fact a pullet, they developed quicker than the others, so this would make sense.

Other notes:

Dmitri has been challenging Snicket lately - they're not fighting directly, but a couple of times they looked like they might. So maybe Dmitri, now reaching sexual maturity, is looking to be at the top of the pecking order, as males generally are in single-male flocks?

Snicket also seems to have developed some not-very-prominent saddle feathers, the presence of which points to cockerel.

I've never heard more than one crow at a time, so it could be only Dmitri crowing, or they could be crowing separately. I typically hear one crow in the morning and that's it for the day, though.

Here are a few pictures of Snicket:
20210916_091743(0).jpg

20210916_091723.jpg

20210916_092937.jpg

20210916_092949.jpg

Here's Dmitri:
20210916_092114.jpg

20210916_092823.jpg

20210916_092852.jpg

And here's a french black copper marans pullet hatched around the same time, for reference:
20210916_092013.jpg

I have a white isbar/silverrudd named Snicket (they were lemony yellow when they were young) who I got in a mixed lot from Foxfire Farms Poultry (great breeder, highly recommend) and hatched in early May. I had posted previously here when I thought they had laid a fart egg, and I've had a couple more (larger) green chicken eggs show up in the yard since then. Not many, but since the fart egg was laid 12 weeks after the group hatched, I wasn't expecting much!

However, now that Snicket and friends are almost 19 weeks old, I'm starting to have my doubts that it was indeed Snicket who laid that egg. I've determined that there is at least one cockerel from the batch we hatched in May, our pavlovskaya Dmitri, and that he is at or near the bottom of the pecking order (based on the order they leave the coop). Snicket is always the first chicken out of the coop in the morning, and if Snicket is in fact a pullet, they developed quicker than the others, so this would make sense.

Other notes:

Dmitri has been challenging Snicket lately - they're not fighting directly, but a couple of times they looked like they might. So maybe Dmitri, now reaching sexual maturity, is looking to be at the top of the pecking order, as males generally are in single-male flocks?

Snicket also seems to have developed some not-very-prominent saddle feathers, the presence of which points to cockerel.

I've never heard more than one crow at a time, so it could be only Dmitri crowing, or they could be crowing separately. I typically hear one crow in the morning and that's it for the day, though.

Here are a few pictures of Snicket:
View attachment 2835136
View attachment 2835149
View attachment 2835151
View attachment 2835152

Here's Dmitri:
View attachment 2835154

View attachment 2835155

View attachment 2835156
And here's a french black copper marans pullet hatched around the same time, for reference:
View attachment 2835158
Both boys. I love Dmitri 😍

You're getting green eggs? Well, both those birds are male. Pics of other laying-age birds?
See, that's the mystery! I got a green fart egg when the chicks were about 12 weeks old. The only one who hatched from a green egg was Snicket, who is a cockerel. I have 2 adult sapphire gems who lay light grown eggs, one adult buff orpington who lays light brown eggs, and one adult polish hen who lays white, slightly triangular eggs. The others the same age as Snicket are 2 french black copper marans (presumably hatched from a dark brown egg), 2 deathlayers (hatched from white eggs), one blue birchens marans (hatched from a dark brown egg), and one silkie hen (slightly older than the other pullets and currently laying light brown eggs).

20210916_184126.jpg

20210916_184144.jpg

20210916_184132.jpg

20210916_184147.jpg

20210916_184204.jpg

20210916_184214.jpg

20210916_184235.jpg

Here's the fart egg in question compared to an egg from one of my mature runner ducks who lays greenish blue eggs. My only theory is the egg was from that runner duck, though the shells of subsequent green eggs felt more like those of chicken eggs than duck eggs.
20210806_091734 (1).jpg

Here are the eggs all the birds hatched from except for the french black copper marans (I got them from someone on craigslist). The circled eggs are now pullets, the C eggs are now cockerels. The C on both green eggs is there because I'm not sure which one Snicket hatched from.
Inked20210417_170846_LI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom