White Jersey Giants

We have the black JG's and they eat a lot, we have since added mash, that we got free at a local brewery, to their feed to help with feed costs!

They eat a lot & they mature very slowly. The males don't really finish out untill they are well over a year old & the females are late layers. They are also amazing looking birds & you'll hear a lot of "I didn't know chickens got that big".
All this assumes you buy quality stock. I've seen some hatchery "Giants" that were smaller than Australorps. They only place I know of that sells chicks that are from well bred birds is Sandhill Preservation Center.

I have only one white left, and she's been a reliable layer. I don't know where she was bought from, since I got her as a pullet, but she's a huge girl. They do mature slowly, the males not fully mature until about 18 mos. My girls didn't start laying until they were about 9 months old.

Sorry to hear about you late layers! Ours started laying at 5 months. Maybe they are an exception?
idunno.gif

I was referencing well bred Giants & specifically noted the difference between them & hatchery bred birds. No offence but those black birds on your website aren't true Giants.

Quote:
roll.png

Um, yes. Yes they are! If you went and looked at our pics you are seeing babys! Even at 7 months old they are bigger than our fully grown large fowl buff orpingtons. Our BJG roo is twice their size at only 7 months. I wasn't trying to shoot down your "facts" I am only saying that I am proud of our birds developement this far and their early laying.

Last edited:
thanks for all the information guys...got 26 and they have willow shanks.....their eye coloring seems to be dark brown to completely black...thanks again for all the help

I'm going to start another thread because my BJG look a little different...maybe I got something else instead?

Back
Top Bottom