White Jersey Giants

I got my White Jerseys last week. Ended up being from a different guy, and a trio. They're about a year old and originated from McMurray Hatchery. What kind of reputation does McMurray's have on their Jerseys?

Quote:

How exciting! I don't know about McMurrays Giants, though other chickens I've seen from them were healthy decent stock, though not SQ. Would Love to see pictures! I just have a few blacks, would get whites if I had coop space. :D

I have always been more interested in the White variety.
Just a few questions though.

1) What were the orginal breeds that made up the Jersey Giant? I do know that the white is a sport of the black.

2) At what age do they usually start laying? I know that it can vary, but an approximate age.

Maybe I'll think of more questions later.

I have always been more interested in the White variety.
Just a few questions though.

1) What were the orginal breeds that made up the Jersey Giant? I do know that the white is a sport of the black.

2) At what age do they usually start laying? I know that it can vary, but an approximate age.

Maybe I'll think of more questions later.

According to the ALBC the Jerseys were bred from Black Javas, Black Langshans and Dark Brahmas. According to the guy I got my birds from they only just started laying a couple weeks ago, so just under the 50 week mark. I don't know if that's a reflection of the birds or maybe due to the fact that they wouldn't have got near sexual maturity until late fall/early winter therefore didn't start laying earlier.

So far from what I can piece together, there hasn't been much work done on the Whites in ages. The standards/descriptions call for birds that are to weight in 8-9 months, but so far the anecdotal evidence I'm finding is that you're looking at closer to 15-18 months for that. My cockerel at a year old is only around the 8lb mark when he should likely be pushing 12-13lbs. I'm definitely seeing the need to get a couple more lines and do some serious breeding/culling to make some progress back to the size these things should be.

I only have 2 hens, one started laying at 9 mo, the other at 11 mo. I've heard that too; that whites definitely need work on size. There's a group of Giant breeders, on the west coast, that have recently started doing that by crossing back to some gorgeous BIG blacks.

According to the ALBC the Jerseys were bred from Black Javas, Black Langshans and Dark Brahmas. According to the guy I got my birds from they only just started laying a couple weeks ago, so just under the 50 week mark. I don't know if that's a reflection of the birds or maybe due to the fact that they wouldn't have got near sexual maturity until late fall/early winter therefore didn't start laying earlier.

So far from what I can piece together, there hasn't been much work done on the Whites in ages. The standards/descriptions call for birds that are to weight in 8-9 months, but so far the anecdotal evidence I'm finding is that you're looking at closer to 15-18 months for that. My cockerel at a year old is only around the 8lb mark when he should likely be pushing 12-13lbs. I'm definitely seeing the need to get a couple more lines and do some serious breeding/culling to make some progress back to the size these things should be.

A person with genetic knowlegde (not me), maybe you, could start from scratch a get another line of these going. I think that would really help things along on the whites.

There is someone trying to reinvent the Delaware here on BYC. I think she's doing a pretty good job of it too from the pictures I've seen.

I don't claim to have any genetic knowledge, but I do have ample space, time and feed resources to make it a viable venture to work on a breed. I think at this point I'm going to look for another trio or two, something that is of stock other than McMurray's so that I can have something that will be viable for cross-breeding.

I have a sweet little white Jersey giant I got from McMurray. She and the black Australorp both fly up to sit on my shoulder, while the others are a bit shy still. I received my chicks four weeks ago. Here's a picture of her:
The other bird is a Cornish X Rock that is one of our 15 meat birds. She's going to be a layer. It's been hard to get a good shot of any of them at this age, more to come later!

Hello,
I am moving back to our farm this spring and have ordered White Jersey Giants from Urch and Cackle, Urch hatch on May 20. Cackle hatch June 3. I will have them banded and keep lines seperated to see the difference before "braiding" if that is proper or desired. I do not have much experience but will try and help keep the "Whites" from becoming extinct.

Do you ever sell any of your White Jersey Giant chicks or eggs? I am trying to start a small flock of the White's here in North Carolina.

Thank you,
John McEvoy

Back
Top Bottom