White Laced Red Cornish

BigECart

Songster
Jul 3, 2020
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
I ordered a WLRC from McMurray and she is the tiniest chick. The description says she will weigh 8 pounds when mature but I wonder if she is a bantam. I have a cream legbar that is also small, all of the other chicks are significantly larger.

Anyone have experience with the breed from McMurray? Honestly, every morning I am surprised that she’s still with us, but it’s been 4 days so looks like she might make it.

You can see the legbar in the third picture. The chick on the left is a week older - lost 5 in that shipment so ordered another 6 and paid an exorbitant fee to USPS to handle them better.
IMG_3486.jpeg
IMG_3487.jpeg

Third image, 2 week old Ancona, WLRC, Cream Legbar, and mystery black chick (australorp? There were 4 breeds that I can’t differentiate yet.)

Attachments

• IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    617.3 KB · Views: 5
It's quite possible she's a bantam, and as long as she's acting normal, eating, sleeping, scratching around, etc., I'd just assume that's the reason she's smaller.

She remains the smallest of my chicks. Yesterday I noticed that her eye was injured - maybe pecked by another chick. It’s better today.

More concerning is that she continues to have pasty butt blockage. My brooder might be overcrowded - I moved all but the WLRC and Legbar to an outside pen during the day. More room to run around. The Cornish’s eye should be good enough for her to also go outside tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom