Wyandotte Pullet or Cockerel?

mandersrenee8503

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2021
Colorado
I got this chickie at a local feed store who orders from a hatchery. When I got it, it was supposed to be a Bielefelder pullet with the same hatch date (4/20/22) as two other chicks I ordered (a Cream Legbar and a Buff Orpington).

Now, I quickly figured out when I got it home that this chick is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. It’s consistently been larger than my other two chicks, but it’s obviously tricky when they’re different breeds. I assumed it was probably a little bit older than the other two. Now they are all (supposedly) around 10.5 weeks old. This one is still bigger than the Orpington. Looking at those feathers, im starting to wonder if it’s a boy. But the comb and wattles remain yellow, not red.

Any ideas? It’s very docile so far and no crowing attempts. The other two definitely follow it around. I have a Black Laced Wyandotte hen and this one is already as tall as her.
EA3E3D46-9488-4B88-9B3A-E6EEEB91DC17.jpeg
A05E0B14-D429-4D58-9A0D-52B810AF9B13.jpeg
E4F55414-CC08-4D3E-A9D7-B1E445809A82.jpeg
67F6B101-5B43-4715-8467-B5185EFFD70A.jpeg

It's probably a boy!
In laced-variations of the Wyandotte, hens have a darker color on the upper side of the head/comb.
The picture shows my silver-laced Wyandottes in different stages of life, the girls are getting darker on the top of their heads/comb!
I apologize for the second picture, which is less visible, but it is difficult for me to take pictures and hold two little rascals.:rant
Blue-laced hens also have a darker head/comb.
The problem with the golden-laced Wyandottes is to recognize them, but I have my own methods for them too!:plbb
IMG_20220710_203343.jpg
IMG_20220710_203610.jpg

I got this chickie at a local feed store who orders from a hatchery. When I got it, it was supposed to be a Bielefelder pullet with the same hatch date (4/20/22) as two other chicks I ordered (a Cream Legbar and a Buff Orpington).

Now, I quickly figured out when I got it home that this chick is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. It’s consistently been larger than my other two chicks, but it’s obviously tricky when they’re different breeds. I assumed it was probably a little bit older than the other two. Now they are all (supposedly) around 10.5 weeks old. This one is still bigger than the Orpington. Looking at those feathers, im starting to wonder if it’s a boy. But the comb and wattles remain yellow, not red.

Any ideas? It’s very docile so far and no crowing attempts. The other two definitely follow it around. I have a Black Laced Wyandotte hen and this one is already as tall as her.
View attachment 3181053View attachment 3181054View attachment 3181055View attachment 3181056
Pullet

It's probably a boy!
In laced-variations of the Wyandotte, hens have a darker color on the upper side of the head/comb.
The picture shows my silver-laced Wyandottes in different stages of life, the girls are getting darker on the top of their heads/comb!
I apologize for the second picture, which is less visible, but it is difficult for me to take pictures and hold two little rascals.:rant
Blue-laced hens also have a darker head/comb.
The problem with the golden-laced Wyandottes is to recognize them, but I have my own methods for them too!:plbbView attachment 3181118View attachment 3181119
You’re incorrect. All signs point to female.

Back
Top Bottom