White Layer Ducks from Metzer Farm

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 3boysguillory, Jan 21, 2016.

1. 3boysguillory

3boysguillory New Egg

Jan 21, 2016
    Lake Charles, Louisiana
    Does anyone have any of the White Layer Ducks from Metzer Farm? Are they calm and friendly? Are they extremely loud or more on the quiet side? I like the look of the Pekins but they are to loud for my backyard flock from what I've read. I'm planning on a couple of Welsh Harlequins and maybe a couple of these. I will have to get females because they will free range with my 10 hens during the day, they will have separate coops for night.

2. Apocha14

Apocha14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    My Pekins weren't loud unless I was late on letting them out in the morning! I also had a Rouen, I LOVED her! Beautiful, sweet, calm and a super layer. Metzer just says white layer ducks?

3. JJpuck

JJpuck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    The only really loud duck I've gotten from Metzer is my cayuga (I also got a welsh, black swedish and a buff). She is SO loud whenever she gets excited. My other ducks are pretty quiet aside from her.
    Usually Metzer has breed descriptions, have you checked those out? It might give you a better idea.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  4. 3boysguillory

3boysguillory New Egg

Jan 21, 2016
    Lake Charles, Louisiana
    I read the breed description but it focuses on their laying ability and not much on their personality. The only thing I found on temperament is calm.

5. Metzer Farms

Metzer Farms Official BYC Sponsor

Oct 11, 2010
    It is really hard to predict the potential noise level of ducks. Some say that Cayuga are very quiet and JJ says that is her loud breed. This happens all the time where one person says one breed is noisy and someone else says theirs are very quiet. My guess is it has to do with their rank in the flock and how nervous they are. And nervousness is just as variable as noise in breeds. I have spoken to Dave Holderread about nervousness and he feels a flock of ducks can be made very nervous by a single event when they are young. I know I am not being of much help other than to say there are no guarantees when it comes to noise and nervousness in duck breeds.
    PS Our White Layers are average amongst our flocks in terms of noise and nervousness.

1 person likes this.
  6. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Completely agree. There's no real way to predict how loud they are going to be other than you can guarantee that the females will always be louder than the males.

My loudest is a WH hen. My quietest/calmest ever was a Pekin drake.

7. neetabeamie

neetabeamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    Teton City Idaho
    Are white layers friendly or affectionate?

8. Abraeri

Abraeri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2017
    In my flock (Golden 300s and White Layers) the White Layers are definitely quieter and friendlier. One of them (who I happen to call "Friendly") is the least scared of me and won't move even if I come close to her. However, she hates being held. So it really depends on the ducks, but in my experience White Layers are quiet and calm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by