1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White leghorn crows overly TOO much!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Obyli, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    I have a 20 weeks old white leghorn roo. He crows every 2-5min or so. Where I live I can own only 1 roo but he is too loud. He crows louder than all the dog barking at the same time and it's very sharp also. At night I put him in the storage so his voice is little lower and the light will get in slower in a delay. But this couple days he won't stop crowing the whole entire day. I decide to put him in a big box since I am getting so many complaint of my family that they are sleeping and stuff. Every time he crows my stress level go up once. I don't want to give it away or kill it since I want little chicks to hatch. There might be another roo nearby so that might be the reason he is crowing so much. Is there a way to make him stop? I would be so much relieved if he could crow by hours instead of every couple minuts.
    The only time I will let him out is at 12pm-12am..Maybe at around 7-7:30am so he could eat. Is this too cruel? I have no choice.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Doesn't sound like much of a life for the rooster. Roosters crow, that's just a fact of keeping chickens. If you can't allow him his freedom it might be kinder to find a new home or eat him.

3. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    I was shocked when my little brown leghorn roo started crowing! Sounds almost like a shriek, haha [​IMG] . I ended up selling him and a few pullets. I didn't sell him because of his crowing as we live in the country, but I'm not going to say I MISS his crowing either! [​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:X2 And a leghorn at that, they are traditional big crowers, I think the lack of interaction and the confinement is what is making his anxiety level go through the roof. If you can't handle a rooster then find a place where he can be a rooster.

Personaly I like it when my boy's go on their I can crow better than you routine, and I have 10 all in pretty close proxcimity to one another, in breeding pen's. and it sounds cool.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by