White Leghorn Pullet Droopy Comb

KimPahl

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 5, 2015
Jefferson, NC
Our Leghorn which is approximately 20 weeks old and just started to lay eggs (3 to be exact..yay) all of a sudden her comb is droopy. However she's energetic, eating, etc no sign of illness or anything and her comb is bright red. Is this normal? Thanks!

I tried to take one yesterday but she doesnt sit still for a second so it was hard for me to get a good photo but I will try to get a good one today and post it. Thanks!

Combs in large combed chickens such as leghorns can flop over. That doesn't mean anything is wrong necessarily. It is more important to watch if the chicken is alert, active, eating, and drinking. Watch for signs of dehydration, and it is always a good idea to have multiple water bowls out in summer heat.

Ok here's a few photos. Sorry they are a bit blurry -- it's tough to take clear pics of a moving target! LOL. She's acting completely normal, active, eating (she's quite the little pig) and has given us an egg every day for the last 4 days. We are new to chickens so we are all learning the ropes. We've had these ladies for about 3 1/2 weeks so we are pretty much used to their routines and their personalities. She started laying 4 days ago and it was at that time that we noticed her comb going limp. If you ask me, it's a large comb for such a bird but from what I've heard that's the norm for the Leghorns.

She seemed to sneeze when eating in the garden and I looked that up and it seems to be normal as she has no discharge or other symptoms and I generally only noticed it when she was eating tomatoes or rooting through the hay. I'm assuming this is from getting dust or tomato juice in her nose. I haven't heard her doing it lately and neither of the other hens have done this.

Don't worry about that! :) My leghorns have large combs and because of that they are prone to fall over. My Leghorn Zazzles had a huge come that flopped on to on side.

ETA : I have found that my hen sneeze due to dust, but as long as there is no discharge and they still seem happy and healthy then there is no cause for concern.

Last edited:
OMGosh! LOL how cute & funny! It's like a hat!
big_smile.png
Ok, I'm glad to know it's nothing to be concerned about. She is quite the little character. I love her personality -- she's so friendly and likes to stand in my lap. She doesn't mind being handled or pet. Our two Red Stars are still skittish. They will come running and hang out at my feet but don't want to be touched. Hopefully we can change that. Thanks again!

Oh, I don't believe she is dehydrated because it's not hot here in the summer. We are in the mountains of Western North Carolina and even in the hottest days in July it was only 85 and very low to no humidity. Fall has arrived here now. I haven't actually SEEN her drink recently, but the nipple waterer is obviously being used because it's somewhat wet underneath. I'm getting horizontal nipples soon as I hate that the vertical nipples drip after being used. We use sand in the coop so it's not a big deal, but still, I hate that it drips at all!

Awww.
big_smile.png
It's funny how curious they are about things. So fun to watch them explore. We were so excited when "Jan" (our girls are Marsha, Jan & Cindy from the Brady Bunch) gave us our first egg. You go girl!!!

Back
Top Bottom