white leghorn rooster x brown egg layer

Quote:
Most brown & white egg colour genes are not sex-linked. I believe there may be one or two that is sex-linked, but in general it is an incorrect assumption to say that pullet egg colour or laying ability comes from the father. It is pretty much a balance between the genetics donated by the father and those donated by the mother.

Quote:
Well here they are. Got them this afternoon.
Hatch One 12 wks all female
55471_image127.jpg

55471_image126.jpg

55471_image124.jpg

55471_image125.jpg

Hatch Two 9 wks 2 pullets 2 roos
55471_image121.jpg

55471_image120.jpg

55471_image119.jpg

55471_image118.jpg

Next post Hatch three 5wks

Thank you. I crossed my RIR roo with all the hens in my signature and I will be glad to post them if any one wants to see an upgraded picture. Pic's as chicks is already up. Surprisingly the Orp crosses had some real white faces as chicks but they are feathering out real red. The even buff colored are now a real light red or dark buff depending on the light.
idunno.gif

Quote:
They started showing a pale gold leakage on their necks at 10 wks. The reddish on the wings showed up last wk at 11wks and it's gradually getting darker, they are pullets. The one roo was an all white chick but he's starting to get some faint gray. The other roo still has his black spots but no leakage yet. The other 9 and 5 wk old haven't shown any yet. It's going to be an interesting array of colors. I see something new every day.
ep.gif

i candled my 40 RIR x Leghorn eggs lastnite (day 12), 39 out of 40 are developed!!!!!
lots of movement can be seen in the eggs...pretty cool...

Quote:
Great...
thumbsup.gif
I did notice that the leghorns in my 3 hatchs that there was a higher percentage of chicks that were fully formed but died before piping. The second hatch had 7 hatch but one died on day 1 and the second on day 2. They were the last two to hatch on day 21. I left them in the incubator an extra 24 hrs because the rest of the chicks were born on day 19 and were pretty rambunctious. They did OK at first but developed what I call the standing up and falling asleep syndrom. They died the next morning after the onset of symptoms. There is a thread here somewhere about it. I think they were just overwhelmed. Next time the late hatchers will stay in the bator longer.

Back
Top Bottom