White Leghorns: The Default Chicken

When I brought these two home, my hubby was like, "But they're the same!" And my son called them "ubiquitous" and dubbed white Leghorns as "the default chicken."

This still makes me laugh!
I was telling my Mom about it yesterday while we sat in our lawn chairs "working" on the new coop. Default chickens 🤣
The birds think we are building them a jungle gym, and I'm done with thinking the Leghorns are timid. We had to clip one wing each to keep them home but they can still get up just about anywhere they want.
All 8 turned out to be hens but we weren't sure until we recently got up to 8 eggs a day 😅 (sourced from a breeder, we thought they were straight run).

How is Saffron doing as the seasons change?
I'm wondering what the light cutoff is and if we'll get eggs all winter.

This still makes me laugh!
I was telling my Mom about it yesterday while we sat in our lawn chairs "working" on the new coop. Default chickens 🤣
The birds think we are building them a jungle gym, and I'm done with thinking the Leghorns are timid. We had to clip one wing each to keep them home but they can still get up just about anywhere they want.
All 8 turned out to be hens but we weren't sure until we recently got up to 8 eggs a day 😅 (sourced from a breeder, we thought they were straight run).

How is Saffron doing as the seasons change?
I'm wondering what the light cutoff is and if we'll get eggs all winter.
Saffron lays every day. Every. Day.

The girl is a machine! She is my only consistent layer right now, which is quite impressive given it gets darker earlier here than most places because we are on the east side of a hill. It's pretty dark by 6pm now, and it doesn't get really light until almost 8am.

And she's very pretty! I know a lot if folks don't think white Leghorns are very attractive, but I love the bright red floppy comb juxtaposed with her perfectly white feathers. I just love her! Still skittish and flighty, but that's ok.

Back
Top Bottom