White leghorns?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am going to be getting a couple more chicks this spring ([​IMG]) and I was wondering about White Leghorns. Are they cold/heat hardy? I know they are good egg layers! I am ordering them tomorrow, so I need some answers by then! Thanks. :)

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    This may be too late, but we have 2 white leghorns. They're on their second winter here, and did fine in last year's very hot summer. There have only been a few days when I haven't had 2 white eggs in the nestbox (like less than 5 days in a year and a half!). Our experience is that they lay even a bit better than our golden comets....although they're a bit wilder.

I hope this helps!

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Nope, not to late! Thank you! I am going to be getting a white leghorn, 2 rainbows, and a BO rooster. So excited!

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Sounds like a great mix! Enjoy! :) We love our BO rooster.....he is the sweetest guy ever!

5. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My BO hens are the friendliest things ever, so I figured that a BO rooster would be a good choice. [​IMG] I'm going to name it Mr. Darcy, after pride and prejudice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by