White mallards ?

poultrykeeper08

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Agawam , Ma
Are white mallards really a white mallard or are they crosses . I have wanted to buy some eggs to hatch but i dont want to buy them if white mallards arent actually mallards . Do they produce all white offspring or do you get colord ducklings and hite ducklings

Any info would be great
big_smile.png

I had not heard of white mallards, but apparently there are albino mallards. My guess is that if you bred two true albino mallards that you would probably get true albino offspring. However, some mallards are only partial albino, in which case you would probably get some regular mallards and some partials along with some true albinos.

You might find this article interesting.

There are some white mallards out there that are true white mutations of gray mallards. There are also several white call crosses out there. There are a few people that buy a white mallard and breed it with a bad call.

yes ,they are out there as i have one pure bred (i make sure that my ducks are 100% pure bred) white male mallard, he has been paired with my pure bred fawn mallard female and have produced some white ducklings along with many other colour variations (but all colours that came out were all colours in the male and female

he has also bred with some of my normal looking (wild colouring)pure bred mallards and some have came out pure white

so im not sure if it is a colour mutation but the white colour is passed down to the ducklings and it seems to be quite dominate

Yes white mallards do exist. I had repeated occurrences of white mallards in clutches from a pair of regular mallards that came from a farm in Louisiana. I do not have these anymore due to a relocation...unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom