White on outside of brown egg.

kesrchicky16

Songster
Dec 13, 2016
All my chickens lay some shade of brown egg. I was getting soft shell eggs so I now have free choice grit and oyster shells. Since putting it out I now have 1 chicken laying a soft easily scratched off almost sticky white coating on the outside of her brown egg. Should I be concerned?
20170520_114749.jpg

The brown color on hens eggs is applied anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours before the hen deposits the egg in her nest.

Also as the year advances the amount of tint or color available to the hen decreases. Therefor it is very possible for a brown egg laying hen to lay a pure white or cream colored egg.

Oh I've had plenty that have "toner" problems!

This is different. It is a coating on the outside of the brown. When I crack it I see the white shell, the brown layer, and then this weird layer that is sticky like almost dry paint.

Could it be possible that the egg in question was recycled into the shell gland and a new layer of shell was applied to the outside?

I don't know. I still new to all this. The wired outer layer is very soft and easy to scratch. It is always covered in scratches from the chicken feet.

Only been queen chicken since October. All I know for sure is when I go outside they all run to see what I want!

:wee:wee:ya:ya

Chickens look funny when they run. I'm not sure they were built to do it!

Back
Top Bottom