White patches and bald rears

GaPeach72

Hatching
Jun 11, 2020
Hello! I am new here, I live in WV and am almost a year into being a chicken mama. I have a couple concerns I could use some input on.

So I noticed this morning while out talking to my birds that some of them have this white stuff on the red areas on sides of their heads. Best I can tell it’s only my white birds that have this stuff but I am not sure what it is. I couldn’t get to them to see if it would wipe off as my rooster won’t let me near them.

Also I have noticed a few of my girls have balding areas on their rear. I can’t get close enough to them yet to inspect, but hopefully this evening when my husband is home to keep the rooster at bay I will be able to look a little better.

Here are a couple of pictures I was able to snap through the fence.

FYI. I have 11 hens & 1 Roo. They’ll be a year old early June. They have an 8x8 coop and a 10x10 outdoor run. Their standard feed is regular laying pellets. And of course I toss in some wilting lettuce and aging fruit when I have it. Also, using bagged pine mulch from tractor supply on floor of coop. And chipped wood from a friend who cuts trees for the outdoor area.

Any advice as to what these issues are or how to take care of them ?

thanks in advance
Robin

Attachments

• 30E4F0CD-5241-4872-861F-A064553BB54B.jpeg
    30E4F0CD-5241-4872-861F-A064553BB54B.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 29
  • ECE65390-AE11-49F0-9AF7-B33FE28CE27E.jpeg
    ECE65390-AE11-49F0-9AF7-B33FE28CE27E.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
If you live in New Zealand or Australia, that could be molt. But if it's spring where you are, it's most likely feather picking. The white "stuff" on the ear lobes is likely the color of the ear lobes which grows in intesity during hormonal periods.

It helps us to know your location in the world when we try to answer your questions.

If you live in New Zealand or Australia, that could be molt. But if it's spring where you are, it's most likely feather picking. The white "stuff" on the ear lobes is likely the color of the ear lobes which grows in intesity during hormonal periods.

It helps us to know your location in the world when we try to answer your questions.
I updated my post. I live in West Virginia, eastern part of the US.

Hi,
If the white area you are talking about is pictured below, it means that that particular hen likely lays white eggs. Leghorn breeds have white in there ear lobe.
20210410_102813.jpg
The feather loss issue could be feather picking or a lice or mite problem.
Research some images of poultry lice and mites. Then tonight after dark and everybody is rooting for the night, with your husband's help, take each chicken off the roost and examine with a bright flashlight. Around the head, vent and under the wings are likely spots. I would not just treat for these pests unless you confirm they are there.
If its feather picking, it can be difficult to stop but can be done.
Let us know what you find.

Agree with what others have posted. The earlobes is normal pigmentation, I will attach a good article on ears and earlobes below.
When I see bare rears like your picture it is almost always feather picking on the roosts. Depending on your coop layout it may help to add a roost or two, or change the spacing or levels of your roosts. My first coop had parallel roosts all at the same height and they were kind of nose to butt while roosting and it was happening a lot. Now my coop has multiple levels and roosts are not parallel and it stopped it from happening. 10x10 for an outdoor run is a bit small for that many birds, especially if you have a roo, so I would try to increase the size of that if you possibly can. Often recommendations for outside space is 8-10 square feet per bird in the run, but that is numbers and math, and birds don't do math. So the actual space needed is really determined by the birds themselves and how they are behaving. A space that works for one group may be too small for another, personalities and temperaments vary. Same with the coop, 3-4 square feet per bird is the usual minimum recommendation, same thing applies, it depends on the birds. More space is always better than less, over crowding and boredom cause problems.

Attachments

• EarsandEarlobes.pdf
    477.3 KB · Views: 1
My white leghorns ears has always been white. Are you sure that is a purebred white leghorn?
White-Leghorn-7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom