White Pigeon …?

Duck_Duck_Goose

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
So we found this little beauty on our pool patio today, happily eating the bird seed that fell to the ground. Aside from getting spooked away for a brief period she’s spent most of her day hanging out there. We’re in suburbia and have been told this unbanded sweetie may be a ‘blood sport’ pigeon although she/he looks plump and healthy. Should we try and catch her and either keep her as a pet or rehome her, bring her to a rescue, or let her alone? And can you tell from the pic of it’s a boy or girl?

Attachments

• EEDB6EDD-7159-4546-880C-C772FFDF32D4.jpeg
    EEDB6EDD-7159-4546-880C-C772FFDF32D4.jpeg
    496.2 KB · Views: 31
So we found this little beauty on our pool patio today, happily eating the bird seed that fell to the ground. Aside from getting spooked away for a brief period she’s spent most of her day hanging out there. We’re in suburbia and have been told this unbanded sweetie may be a ‘blood sport’ pigeon although she/he looks plump and healthy. Should we try and catch her and either keep her as a pet or rehome her, bring her to a rescue, or let her alone? And can you tell from the pic of it’s a boy or girl?
She could have strayed from a ceremonial(weddings, funerals, etc.)release flock. Ideally you could trap her and keep her safe as a pet or rehome. Non ferals have a pretty tough time 'in the wild'.
I'm not sure what is meant by blood sport pigeon.
Good luck with her, pigeons are amazing birds!

And sorry, can't tell gender from the pic.

If she's on the larger side, it's likely that she's a King pigeon. They're the most common meat pigeons (bred for either pigeon or squab.) Since they're bred for meat, they're rarely banded. I personally have a rescue King that I found some years back at a pond with a tattered wing, likely from a hawk attack. I'd recommend trying to catch her if possible -- all-white pigeons typically don't fare well in the wild.

She could have strayed from a ceremonial(weddings, funerals, etc.)release flock. Ideally you could trap her and keep her safe as a pet or rehome. Non ferals have a pretty tough time 'in the wild'.
I'm not sure what is meant by blood sport pigeon.
Good luck with her, pigeons are amazing birds!

And sorry, can't tell gender from the pic.
Thank you. She’s proving hard to catch and early in the evening flew off again and hasn’t returned so we’ll see what tomorrow brings. If we do catch her and are unable to keep her we’ve found someone who can.
‘Blood Sport Birds’ are apparently used in fighting to the death much like dog fighting. It’s beyond horrifying to think anyone would treat another living being like this but from what I’ve been told it’s ‘a thing’ in my area.

If she's on the larger side, it's likely that she's a King pigeon. They're the most common meat pigeons (bred for either pigeon or squab.) Since they're bred for meat, they're rarely banded. I personally have a rescue King that I found some years back at a pond with a tattered wing, likely from a hawk attack. I'd recommend trying to catch her if possible -- all-white pigeons typically don't fare well in the wild.
She doesn’t seem to be particularly large but rather just healthy looking and medium build so I’m hoping she’s(?) finding plenty to eat and drink.

She doesn’t seem to be particularly large but rather just healthy looking and medium build so I’m hoping she’s(?) finding plenty to eat and drink.
Oh, I meant in actual size, not necessarily weight! Like how doves are much smaller than your average pigeon. Kings are one of the larger breeds because they're meat birds. :)

Oh, I meant in actual size, not necessarily weight! Like how doves are much smaller than your average pigeon. Kings are one of the larger breeds because they're meat birds. :)
Gotcha! Nope, not a particularly large bird. We have mourning doves of somewhat varying sizes that come to ‘visit’ and she’s not huge compared to them.

Back
Top Bottom