White Rock Cross tiny bird

David A

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 24, 2012
Hi friends. I have 4 week old WRC chickens, 17 to be exact. I got them as day old and they are all doing great. However, I have one that is somewhere between a sparrow and a robin, the others are 4-5 times its size. It still looks like a peep, but very healthy. I contacted the hatchery and they stated the WRC are at a facility by themselves, there is no way any other breed could be mixed into the lot. They will go to the butcher in about 4 weeks except "midgee chick" (as my daughter calls her). Has anyone experienced any tiny WRC birds? Or any birds for that matter. I have a feeling that since she isn't growing like a weed, she may last a while so I thought of introducing her to the Buckeye populace. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Are you able to post a picture that captures the size comparison? I would be interested in seeing it. I don't have any recommendations other than I wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to keep her. Being much smaller than the Buckeyes she will get picked on for a good bit.
And do you actually send your rocks to butcher at 8 weeks? My rocks always took 15 weeks.

I have a hen like this. She is CornishX but 1 out of 51 birds I figure its just a runt. Great looking bird, ifshe was a dual purpose hen. Perfect feathering etc. Still has the appetite of a CX but doesn't put on the meat like the rest. My meats are roughly 7 weeks old and the other birds her age are prolly 2.5 times her size. You most like have a runt like I do. Theres one every so often that just doesn't meat up like the rest.

If her appetite stays like the CX I don't know if I will keep mine with layers. She will eat like a hog but not gain much weight.

Appreciate that info. I will be taking them to butcher, but she is going to stay. I'm going to introduce her to the Buckeyes and see if they will become pals.

Last edited:
Was half thnking same thing with my little girl. I wonder if she lays if the chicks will be small like her or will they get Gparent gens for size. Now I got ideas
pop.gif

Here is a picture of "little peep" at 9 weeks next to a 1 gallon feeder. She is isolated for a bit while we move her.

Back
Top Bottom