White rock gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ShayBaby, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    I usually don't have much of a problem sexing birds but I could use some opinions on this one from those more familiar with the breed and their development. He/she is a White Rock. I have no experience with them but know Rock pullets do tend to get large and red in the combs early. I do have Barred Rocks, and they sure did. At this age, I swore my hens were dudes. The color is a little off in the pics..the comb isn't AS red as it looks here..it's more of a peachy color at this stage. Anyways.. About 9 weeks old in these pics, taken 3 or 4 days ago:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a cockerel to me, at least judging by stance and comb development. But I am not 100% sure, as, like you said, Rock females often develop larger combs at an earlier age than other breeds. I would post new photos in 2-3 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd say that he is a cockerel. That's a lot of comb for a nine week old bird. White rocks mature pretty fast, but I still don't think that a female would have such a large red comb for this age.

4. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes! I agree too.

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x3 It is a pretty red comb for his age.

6. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    Thanks guys. That's what I've suspected from day 1, but wanted some second (third, fourth, fifth...) opinions. I'm fine with it either way. Wanted him to be a girl to have another good LF layer, but also wanted it to be a roo to breed to my BR gals and play around with genes..see if I could get some pretty, diluted barred babies. :)

7. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok Good :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by