White rock gender?

ShayBaby

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Lucasville, OH
I usually don't have much of a problem sexing birds but I could use some opinions on this one from those more familiar with the breed and their development. He/she is a White Rock. I have no experience with them but know Rock pullets do tend to get large and red in the combs early. I do have Barred Rocks, and they sure did. At this age, I swore my hens were dudes. The color is a little off in the pics..the comb isn't AS red as it looks here..it's more of a peachy color at this stage. Anyways.. About 9 weeks old in these pics, taken 3 or 4 days ago:

Looks like a cockerel to me, at least judging by stance and comb development. But I am not 100% sure, as, like you said, Rock females often develop larger combs at an earlier age than other breeds. I would post new photos in 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:
I'd say that he is a cockerel. That's a lot of comb for a nine week old bird. White rocks mature pretty fast, but I still don't think that a female would have such a large red comb for this age.

Thanks guys. That's what I've suspected from day 1, but wanted some second (third, fourth, fifth...) opinions. I'm fine with it either way. Wanted him to be a girl to have another good LF layer, but also wanted it to be a roo to breed to my BR gals and play around with genes..see if I could get some pretty, diluted barred babies. :)

Back
Top Bottom