White Rock Rooster question

You can't just like you can't raise a bunch of pullets together without them fighting some. Part of chickens living in a flock is that they have a pecking order. That is set up by pecking and fighting.

If you have a flock of nothing but cockerels with no females in the mix, they will probably get along just like a flock of pure hens, especially if they are raised together. There will probably be very little true fighting, more of pecking and running away.

Chickens have developed ways to live together in a flock. Many of the techniques they use to keep peace in a flock is the weaker runs away from the stronger or just avoids the stronger in the first place. This means they need room to run away or avoid. If you can give them some room, a purely bachelor flock should not be a big problem.

I really don't think there are any specific magic numbers for that. We keep them in so many different conditions, in totally different climates, and manage them in so many different waysI don't think there is one specific number that covers us all. In your case, what age you process them enters into it.

I understand if you don't have any experience you need some guidelines. If you free range them, you really don't need much coop space, just enough room for them to roost. If they are locked in a coop all the time, they need a fair amount of room. There is a rule of thumb on this forum that has 4 square feet per bird in the coop along with 10 square feet per bird in the run. If they have access to the run most of the time they are awake that is probably more room than you need, provided you process them before say 20 weeks.

I really do hate giving hard and fast numbers. That may be way more than you need or it may get a little tight. There are so many variables it's not easy giving numbers.

Thanks Ridgerunner. Your comments have been very helpful. Ive had layers now for about 2 years but id like to expand my operations. i understand that is a common affliction for chicken owners.

Back
Top Bottom