White Rocks as DP?

Some other breeds you could consider are white giants or sex links (RIR over BR or NHR over Delaware). Everything I've read said that white rocks grow slow but I had a pair from 3 days old until 10weeks and both topped 36oz. in that time. The sexlink suggetion is base on reading, everything I've seen says they are a good mediocre bird in both egg and meat production, the former is easier to come by and marketed more strongly. Personally I would invest in the parent breeds and breed my own but those crosses are available from most hatcheries.

Last edited:
Fred's Hens :

Every year, when I was a boy, my dad would bring home 250 White Rocks, straight run, for me to raise for the family of 9. Meat birds indeed. Until the Cornish-RockX was developed, improved and marketed, the White Rock and Delaware were the meat birds of their day. In my book? They remain outstanding examples of a heritage meat bird. The hens lay well, the roosters make great meat birds. What more could you want. They won't be as fussy as an X, will range well, and are wonderful in personality. The "white" makes them visible and on a green pasture? There is no prettier sight. Ok, ok, I'm very biased.
smile.png

Wow, that's a lot of birds! I would have loved that as a kid. No such luck. City girl
sad.png

I've been reading about the WR and Delawares and for some reason the WRs just have me hooked. And I think if I'm going to have them also for eggs and hatching I'll keep a WR roo. Didn't think I should try for two breeds like that. I just don't have the space at the moment and want to keep things relatively small...as in just for our family.

Can you expand on "heritage". What are non-heritage breeds? And what is the difference?

Thank you!​

Quote:
I have seen them on hatchery sites...and just wondered if they would be larger in general to the WRs. Color really doesn't matter to me. Unless of course you can't eat them because they are an off color? Or are they all dark meat? Guess I still have a lot to learn. I just want to study up before getting my first batch as then I'm in it for the long haul.
celebrate.gif

As an accountant, MAYBE I tend to over analyize things....a bit
caf.gif
idunno.gif

Quote:
and using hatchery sourced cornish birds, will get you about as far in chicken life. as turning in a gobbler turkey to mate the chicken hens will...

frow.gif
Well, since I'm a beginner I will learn a lot. There is not always a mentor available to start out with great birds. I read a lot and get others opinions and maybe avoid some pitfalls that way. Same way I started out showing cats. Didn't get show quality to begin with. Ended up with Champion lines in a rare breed and being able to start others showing/breeding with great cats. It's all a process. I'm having fun learning and making strides ( as in got my first egg last month!
ya.gif
). Yes, I stared out with layers from the feed store, but that's OK. My daughters loved going and choosing them. It was their first time even touching a chick! Priceless! Hubby's first time too
lau.gif
They are healthy and laying and that's what I wanted. Now for the next step.... trying to have a sustainable flock that provides meat and eggs.

What kind of birds do you have? What are you goals in keeping them?

Quote:
It was just a suggestion, hatchery birds are much easier to obtain then breeder stock. And much cheaper.

I thought it was a valid and good suggestion - not all of us are running out to buy hundred dollar breeding trios so we can show - we just enjoy experimenting out in our own yards and sometimes need a little feed back on possibilities/potentials to help kickstart an idea. Hatchery stock is a good way to start and much more pocket book friendly to practice with until you get really on a roll with something, then you could invest in better quality animals.

Thank you, and I agree. You have to start somewhere. I'm really looking for a nice size bird. I may not buy them from a hatchery, depends on what else I find in the next month or so. But that is an option if I need it. I am experimenting a bit, with everything...and not will to wait unitl I have all the "perfect" circumstances to move forward. I'm too excited and impulsive
yippiechickie.gif

I love the Mark T. quote...
clap.gif

Quote:
So in your experience the WR go broody
fl.gif
Can't wait to have my first broody
ya.gif

Do the black Aussies have the desired skin color for the table? I've only read a tiny bit on this and had no idea skin color was even a consideration!

I think I read in one of your other posts that you keep your pop door open 24/7. Do you have a LSG and don't need to worry about nighttime? That's great! I would love that. Ours free range sun up/sun down. We don't have any kind of outdoor dog at all right now so I'm afraid to leave the coop open at night.

And you like the New Hamps better than the Delawares? Any particular reason? Do you use them for DP also?

Thank you! I always enjoy your input!
frow.gif

Quote:
I just read a really good post on BYC on the sex link genetics. I learned a lot about color genetics in other animals so this made sense to me. I discovered I have the ability to hatch black sex links. I have a RIR roo and 4 BR girls. I'm going to try and keep some as it seems they make great egg layers! I knew nothing about sex link birds until this site. Such a wealth of information!
caf.gif

I've read a bit about the white giants...but I'm thinking they grow extra slow.....so kind of thought the WR would be better if I want to have some meat and some eggs layers. That way I'm not keeping them quite so long - the meat birds.

I have little patience with this snobbery about hatchery birds. My last several flocks over the years have been straight hatchery stock and they are wonderful!!! My latest flock is still laying every day or every other day in peak laying times and none of them are under 5 years of age. They are healthy, beautiful and hardy.

Breeders need to get some perspective here....I know you are trying to promote your product but it never goes well to down other products in order to make yours sell. Your product should speak for itself if it is so superior to hatchery birds.

The fact remains that hatcheries provide convenience and low cost to the people who are merely trying to get into providing a food source for their families and what you do with a bird after you get it is more important, IMO. That old nature vs. nurture argument has long been hashed and rehashed but it all comes down to natural selection or owner selection....all the birds that didn't have good, hardy genetics of a desirable nature in my flocks either died or were culled. Remaining are a beautiful, healthy, productive flock and they all~each and every single bird~came from hatchery stock.

In the end, it's not "you get what you paid for"....it's what you did with what you got.

Quote:
You make a great point. We have to start somewhere, and we can't always get anything but hatchery birds. I know where I live, unless I can get someone to send hatching eggs, which I get 50% or less hatch rates on, I hatchery stock is all that's out there within driving distance. And they're not bad birds by any means, especially if you're in it for eggs. But they are smaller if you want true dual purpose chickens. You do roll the dice. I have some hatchery BO hens and one, "Big Girl" has like an eating gene or something, she is over and above what the others are. After molting this year, is laying a Jumbo egg almost every day. But still not as big as my breeder quality orps.

So far as good quality Cornish, wow, good luck getting show quality or breeder quality in those. Especially if you don't live within driving distance of a breeder. But they *are* harder to raise than rocks or other breeds.

Back
Top Bottom