1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

white scale on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gaja, Feb 13, 2012.

1. gaja

gaja New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    i have a 10 month old chicken not eating or drinking as well as usual, huddling against wall, pale comb with white scale--some balding around head and eyes, missing feathers in front of tail, some picking at herself--wt loss--i have looked at mites, lice, pox, etc and not sure of a matching disease. i don't see anything moving on her skin or around her eyes. i have ordered d.e. to treat the chix and the coop--any experts that could give me ideas
    about what may be wrong?

just an update: i finally spotted tiny black mites (?) crawling quickly on the part by her tail that is balding and on her comb. i put vaseline on the balding spot and dusted her--she is separated from the others and she at least is standing, eating and drinking. i don't know if she will live or not but i will treat the flock and the coop.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by