white silkie question

I have 3 girls that are about 5 months so not long til eggs! possibly babies ( i have two roos!
big_smile.png
)

We have 2 silkies - the white one started laying this week at 28 weeks old (about 6 1/2 months) She'd been squatting for us for a couple weeks before that. The buff colored one hasn't squatted and isn't laying yet.

The way I understood the layer food question, is that you shouldn't start feeding the layer feed until they are actually laying eggs. The extra calcium is what they need for the egg shells - feeding it early isnt' going to make them sexually mature faster - it's unrelated - and the extra calcium before they need it can harm their kidneys?.. Something like that...

But I'm still new at this, so perhaps someone else can let me know if i misunderstood.

My last silkie started at 5 months and she laid better than our barred rocks (when she wasnt broody) We had 8 girls and she laid 20% of the eggs at two years old. She laid everyday and sometimes she laid in the middle of the night!

I wouldn't start feeding layer feed until they are actually laying. As was said earlier in thread the calcium will damage their kidneys. Not only that but the grower feed is better for their growing bodies. I still feed my adults a mixture that includes some grower feed. I prefer to feed calcium on the side so they can get it as they need it and are not eating more than they need. I have some silkies I am waiting on to, mine are 4 months and 2 months in age.

I have a silkie roo that is 4 months and he started crowing and breeding a couple of my hens. Not sure if he is actually successful but he does the motions and they are squatting for him.

not one of my silkie cockerels has started to crow...I have 2 other silkie roosters that crow all day but the little guys are not even trying...and i will hold off on the layer until i see my first egg..which won't be too long..I HOPE!!!!! I will be putting them in the new coop just as soon as i get it ready...more room for them and hopefully a nice big run will help.

Back
Top Bottom