White Silkie with single black feather - colour Qs

MeowMinx

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 8, 2016
I recently obtained an approximately 6 week old white Silkie chick that has a single black feather on his back, between the wings. No idea of parentage, breed lines, etc but he does look to be of reasonably good quality and is definitely a purebreed.

What are the chances he is a Paint and grows more black feathers as he matures? Or is that black feather a random occurrence and will be lost when he sheds? Dominant or recessive white in this case? He has dark orange eyes if that matters.

I'll tag @RoostersAreAwesome for the genetics. I believe the white in Silkies is dominant. Now I'll be the first to tell you that I am not one that picks up the genetics stuff so easily. I may be mistaken but I believe that is what roostersareawesome told me while we were discussing a color I was hoping to breed into my flock. It seems like white Silkies and Cochins are dominant. My white bantam Cochin had a feather with a black smudge on it and after his annual molt, the feather grew back in with more black leakage than before. My white Silkie has just a teeny tiny place with black leakage. Maybe since it's an entire black feather on your bird, things are different. I'm anxious to learn 😁 I'd love to see your little cutie if you have a chance 💜

@LadiesAndJane is very knowledgeable with all things Silkie (amongst other things 💜)
My brain isn't working so well to help me remember some of the other members that are heavy on Silkie knowledge. I'm so sorry I can't be of more help

@Amer is a genetics expert
@Overo Mare isn't Moony extremely knowledgeable with genetics stuff too?
@EmmaRainboe

Back
Top Bottom