White Silkie X Splash Silkie?

americana-chick

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 18, 2008
I am not sure yet... but i think my splash chick may be a rooster... and i have a white hen so if i were to breed them, what would i get?
Thanks!

Ms.FuzzyButts :

You could get white, or a lighter version of your splash rooster. It also depends on any other, color genes, they may be carrying.

No. White is NOT a diluter. It is an off switch that prevents you from seeing the colours and patterns that the bird carries. Every white can be completely different, so there is no answer.

To show you, go to the chicken calculator and select any non-white variety you choose. Modify individual genes is you like. Then modify the colour gene (C+) to c/c--recessive white, and note that you now have a white bird. Start over again, selecting a different variety. Then change it to recessive white (c/c). Keep trying until you understand that any set of colour or pattern genes can be hidden behind white.​

Quote:
No. White is NOT a diluter. It is an off switch that prevents you from seeing the colours and patterns that the bird carries. Every white can be completely different, so there is no answer.

To show you, go to the chicken calculator and select any non-white variety you choose. Modify individual genes is you like. Then modify the colour gene (C+) to c/c--recessive white, and note that you now have a white bird. Start over again, selecting a different variety. Then change it to recessive white (c/c). Keep trying until you understand that any set of colour or pattern genes can be hidden behind white.

Ahh, I see. Thank you! I am still learning. I guess that is why I have a separate PQ pen.
wink.png

Quote:
It has English as well as Dutch (no German, lol) titling and instructions. If you really want, there is probably a German version out there, or Henk could make one for you
gig.gif

Ms.FuzzyButts :

Ahh, I see. Thank you! I am still learning. I guess that is why I have a separate PQ pen.
wink.png

I refer to that as my "layer flock." They have lots of boys to keep them company.​

Back
Top Bottom