White Sport Cream Legbars

Pics
"Struggling with vigor"

Hmmmm.....

I define vigor as anything in its genetic make up that predisposes a flock or individual chicken to survive and thrive as livestock. High hatchability, disease resistance, adaptations to different climates, freedom from physical defects, foraging skill, are all examples of things that help a flock survive and thrive as livestock.

I have not personally hatched a single sport white Legbar, but multiple people that have and are/were trying to develop white breeding lines have reported low/zero hatch rates. Some even have made the effort to ship self white stock to other parts of the country so that they didn't have to do any close relation pairing or tried to cross the whites back to unrelated standard colored stock with out any better luck. A variety that fails to reproduce is not going to survive so it is "struggling with vigor". I hope that some people will have success in breeding the self white Legbars so that can be reversed. I know of other breeders that have developed white varieties from recessive white sports. I have never worked with any of those either, but know that they have succeeded with white varieties based on Recessive white, so I am not sure why the White Legbars are off to a rocky start, but vigor in the White Legbars is a major concern at this point.

Last edited:
Aloha,

Well there you have it folks. We have a rocky road ahead of us. It might be like tufted rumpless araucanas. Youʻre lucky when you get ʻem.

So far my girl is a little lighter than the black copper marans she was born with but her brothers have only recently surpassed her. Theyʻre going through puberty.

Itʻs hard enough to get two of opposite sex in the same flock.

GaryDean, I was wondering if any were born from a white to white pairing and if so, did it still have autosexing?

Canʻt wait ʻtill spring.

Aloha, Puhi

Miss Henny,

The auto-sexing is not the problem. The auto-sexing trait expressed in chick down is due to the wild type E locus allele. The gene causing the white adult plumage may be the problem.

Enola,

The ear tuft gene is the lethal gene. What most people do not know is that the tuft gene not only produces ear tufts but also effects the development of the auditory canal in the head, It is this development that causes embryonic death.

To any body,

What is the eye color in the white crested legbars?

Tim

I have read all the legbar threads. I don't see any where if anyone has crossed a white sport with a 'normal' CCL and got chicks to hatch ?

I have a friend up in NY who used to have mixed flocks (Cream Rooster over cream and white hens) and she got chicks to hatch. I'm not sure if any of her white to white pairings' offspring ever made it, but I can check.

second question- Did anybody hatch white females and normal colored males from mating a white male with a normal colored female.

third question- Has anybody mated a white crested legbar with a silkie? If so were all of the chicks white?

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom