White Sport Cream Legbars

Pics
images

I couldn't find another punnet square with the correct letters to show how this works. I believe the correct letter is C or c. But the capital is the dominant trait and the lower case is the recessive trait. In this case, let r represent the recessive trait that cancels out a gene on a different chromosome that codes for the colors of the chicken, thus the chicken is white(no color). Most chickens have the dominant trait on both of their chromosomes, so most chickens are colorful.

The top letters R and r, represent the sperm produced by the rooster. Half of his sperm will carry the dominant trait and half will carry the recessive trait.

The same letters on the side represent the mother, who is also heterozygous which means she carries two kinds, the dominant and the recessive trait.

The Punnet square, named after the guy who developed the Cream Legbar, shows the chances of these traits showing up in the next generation. The rooster doesn't make 4 sperm, he makes 4 million. and the 12 in the dozen eggs are a random selection from the pool of 4 million sperms.

So the Punnet square above, shows a one in four chance that the offspring will be Homozygous for white(rr), half will be heterozygous(Rr) and approximately 1/4 will not carry the recessive gene at all.

LAFreeway has a 1/8 chance because, he has 2 chickens(only one of which carry the gene) who lay the similar egg, so the 1/4 chance becomes a 1/8 chance.

Hope this helps.

Aloha, Puhi

Hi! I was just asking someone else how often they are seeing the white sports. Mine show up less than 25% of the time in the breeding pair. Have you kept any as they mature?

I kept one pullet until she was near POL. I wanted to keep her at my house (I have breeding stock and roosters at a farm), but she had a very loud voice. She was very pretty, though.

I have been getting about one per hatch of a weeks worth of eggs, which was about 5-6 per bird, once in a while 2 would hatch, so that's pretty consistent with about 25%.

But I have two females that are sisters and whose eggs I can't tell apart. It is possible that both of them carry the genes, and that I am getting white sports more like 12.5% of the time (for both of them). With the one being broody, I can see what happens while she isn't laying.

One of the eggs the broody hatched is a white, but the clutch she was sitting on may have included some of her eggs, as I don't collect every day from the farm, and I'm not sure when between my visits she went broody.

I apologize if this has been answered prior as I don't have time to read the entire thread right now.
Can anyone tell me what color of legs a white legbar will have? Thanks!

Aloha ChicKat,

They should breed true. My rooster is normal color so heʻs only a carrier. But, one of my white hens is laying very white eggs, which leads me to think that the white gene came from white Leghorns in more recent times. Just an assumption.

I am trying to create a white Black copper Marans line with my friend. We have a white rooster and have identified a carrier hen. So we are now creating white offspring, then we will breed them together. We are also breeding the white rooster to Marans from a separate line in order to create carriers from a different line in order to add genetic diversity to them. It will take some time. Theoretically, the egg color should not be affected.

But my white CLs seem to be carrying white egg genes. I havenʻt identified which one so am aiming to build single pens in order to do so, so she can go to the egg laying pen.

Aloha, Puhi

Aloha ChicKat,

They should breed true. My rooster is normal color so heʻs only a carrier. But, one of my white hens is laying very white eggs, which leads me to think that the white gene came from white Leghorns in more recent times. Just an assumption.

I am trying to create a white Black copper Marans line with my friend. We have a white rooster and have identified a carrier hen. So we are now creating white offspring, then we will breed them together. We are also breeding the white rooster to Marans from a separate line in order to create carriers from a different line in order to add genetic diversity to them. It will take some time. Theoretically, the egg color should not be affected.

But my white CLs seem to be carrying white egg genes. I havenʻt identified which one so am aiming to build single pens in order to do so, so she can go to the egg laying pen.

Aloha, Puhi
Aloha Puhi

You are one busy person with those plans! :O)

Here is my concern about multiple generations of White Legbars. The autosexing comes from the barring genes and the gold duckwing genes -- The white recessives seem to show autosexing in the first generation - but subsequent generations won't have barring or the gold duckwing pattern from either parent. It's hard for me to see how they can retain autosexing without the barring or gold duckwing.

Interesting about the white eggs too. I think those that were encountering white recessives in their flock were also seeing white eggs - And You are probably right that the cross is recent - that introduced these traits. IMO recessives are very sneaky. Thanks for the info.
frow.gif

Aloha Puhi

You are one busy person with those plans! :O)

Here is my concern about multiple generations of White Legbars. The autosexing comes from the barring genes and the gold duckwing genes -- The white recessives seem to show autosexing in the first generation - but subsequent generations won't have barring or the gold duckwing pattern from either parent. It's hard for me to see how they can retain autosexing without the barring or gold duckwing.

Interesting about the white eggs too. I think those that were encountering white recessives in their flock were also seeing white eggs - And You are probably right that the cross is recent - that introduced these traits. IMO recessives are very sneaky. Thanks for the info.
frow.gif

Has anyone been successful yet breeding white to white?

In my flock there was nothing but fatality when breeding white to white exclusively so I wonder if they will ever get past that first generation anyway.

And definitely interesting about the white eggs. My recessive whites laid a beautiful sky blue egg which would go along with the theory of them not being homozygous for the blue egg gene.

Has anyone been successful yet breeding white to white?

In my flock there was nothing but fatality when breeding white to white exclusively so I wonder if they will ever get past that first generation anyway.

And definitely interesting about the white eggs. My recessive whites laid a beautiful sky blue egg which would go along with the theory of them not being homozygous for the blue egg gene.
I have only once recall someone say they successfully bred a white to a white. They were able to hatch one chick, I think it also was a white but I don't recall completely.

Back
Top Bottom