White Sport Cream Legbars

Pics
My pair of White Sport were able to reproduce. I just hatched an egg from the pen dated 4/22. I will post a photo in a sec. So I would say that there is no fatalistic white gene. I will keep it for a bit to ensure it is viable but it looks pretty healthy.

This is the white spot chick that hatched. I don't have them penned anymore as I need the space and I'm prepping to sell them off. I think they'd work best unrelated and in a better bator as I'm having issues with mine at lockdown - bought a new one for lockdown

this is her with her cream cousins from this weeks hatch.
Here are her quotes. This is the only chick I have even seen reported coming from two white parents.

Interesting. I would want to see another also having success hatching from pure whites before I discount a fatalistic gene.

With my group I would get most every egg to grow and then they would die at lockdown. The one I did get to hatch died right after zipping- never even made it out of the incubator. Most of the chicks were deformed when I did eggtopsies so I thought maybe they were just inbred but there are enough whites out there we should have had others hatching them by now so I don't know if they are having success either.

I thought about breeding whites into the Reese line for genetic diversity but just haven't taken that on yet...

Before I found this thread I was wondering if this was even a legbar. Now I am wondering if I can sex my surprize chick. unfortunately it did not come out of the egg well. It is about a week old in these pics and looks more yellow in person. Any thoughts on gender?

Before I found this thread I was wondering if this was even a legbar. Now I am wondering if I can sex my surprize chick. unfortunately it did not come out of the egg well. It is about a week old in these pics and looks more yellow in person. Any thoughts on gender?
Hard to tell with the sun, but from the first pic I would guess cockerel. Pullets have a clear white v shaped triangle on the head from the pics I've seen. Sadly I have never seen a live White Legbar in person.

Thank you for the reply KPenely. I am also leaning towards cockerel. I am still holding out hope for a pullet. Someone said in an earlier post that the female chicks are more yellow while the males are more white. This chick was definitely yellow. Unfortunately the chick was shrink wrapped coming out of the egg so down was distorted. To make things more confusing I had never heard of the white variant before and didnt think to take pics til after a week had past. I was taken off guard by a yellow chick out of a cream legbar egg and marked the chicks head with an orange marker to distinguish him from similar chicks I was hatching.

Thank you for the reply KPenely. I am also leaning towards cockerel. I am still holding out hope for a pullet. Someone said in an earlier post that the female chicks are more yellow while the males are more white. This chick was definitely yellow. Unfortunately the chick was shrink wrapped coming out of the egg so down was distorted. To make things more confusing I had never heard of the white variant before and didnt think to take pics til after a week had past. I was taken off guard by a yellow chick out of a cream legbar egg and marked the chicks head with an orange marker to distinguish him from similar chicks I was hatching.

I have white sports, but I can not get a good read from the pics.
In my experience, the chick down is yellow regardless of male/female; however the chipmunk markings have some yellow/gold to them. This may account for more color in the female chick down.
In either case, they feather in distinctly white.
The comb and wattles will be your next indicator, followed by pointy saddle feathers; or "he" may start crowing at about 6 weeks just to settle the question =)

I just bought a trio of white sports, there almost at the point of lay, I have not read the entire thread yet. But there was a lot of discussion of a fatal gene in the whites. Has anyone had a total zero hatch from a pair of white sports? The cockerel is already very active, the pullets, well they are not showing much interest in him yet. I am debating on whether splitting them between three legbar pens or leaving them together! Any comments welcome bad or good!

I just bought a trio of white sports, there almost at the point of lay, I have not read the entire thread yet. But there was a lot of discussion of  a fatal gene in the whites. Has anyone had a total zero hatch from a pair of white sports? The cockerel is already very active, the pullets, well they are not showing much interest in him yet. I am debating on whether splitting them between three legbar pens or leaving them together! Any comments welcome bad or good!

Why would you want to breed this into your flok and so wide spred?

Back
Top Bottom