White Sport Cream Legbars

Pics
Another thing that does happen is some people purposely breed in a different breed into their CLB's to make lighter roosters for show. While this might get them a ribbon from an unsuspecting judge, it does tend to dilute the CLB in my humble opinion. As a buyer of chicks or eggs you are not going to know this has happened.

Which crosses do you think people are making?
How many generations do you think it would take for them to breed back to something that satisfies the SOP and/or makes a convincing Cream Legbar?

Which crosses do you think people are making?
How many generations do you think it would take for them to breed back to something that satisfies the SOP and/or makes a convincing Cream Legbar?

I do not recall which breed it was, it only takes one generation to bring it back as I understand it and it comes back a lot lighter colored. As I recall it was a silver something.

I am not into this stuff and do not pay a lot of attention but I have heard of it in other breeds too, I have no idea how long it takes to bring them back.

For example White Leghorn
0.jpg

Quote:Silverudd (1974, p. 194) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1601-5223.1974.tb00931.x/pdf

The combination of gold and inhibitor of gold reduces/removes the problem of straw tinge in white birds - similar to silver.
In general You need only two or three generations to satisfy the show judges- at least another Redcap breeder has got good ratings following to infusions by another breeds after this time.

Last edited:
For example White Leghorn
0.jpg

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1601-5223.1974.tb00931.x/pdf

The combination of gold and inhibitor of gold reduces/removes the problem of straw tinge in white birds - similar to silver.
In general You need only two or three generations to satisfy the show judges- at least another Redcap breeder has got good ratings following to infusions by another breeds after this time.

I actually heard showing any barred bird is a bit risky because of how easy it is to bring in another breed and hide it within a generation or two.

After a long dry spell of no white sports....This:

As you can see I am so happy, I have a Mike's to celebrate!... I had split up my breeders that give me the whites! They are now together and I know which rooster it is! I am so happy... It is one of 4 hens. It is not a mother/son or Father/daughter pair as I had guessed, It is Brother/sister pair.

After a long dry spell of no white sports....This:

As you can see I am so happy, I have a Mike's to celebrate!... I had split up my breeders that give me the whites! They are now together and I know which rooster it is! I am so happy... It is one of 4 hens. It is not a mother/son or Father/daughter pair as I had guessed, It is Brother/sister pair.

Congrats!

I do not recall which breed it was, it only takes one generation to bring it back as I understand it and it comes back a lot lighter colored. As I recall it was a silver something.

I am not into this stuff and do not pay a lot of attention but I have heard of it in other breeds too, I have no idea how long it takes to bring them back.

As there are so many color and pattern complexities to the CL, not to overlook nuances of body type, that it is a commitment to work with the original imports. I can't see the benefit of introducing another breed in the mix.

As I understand it bringing a silver or light colored breed in will lighten the roosters for a better showing. I am with you , it would be too much work and too complicated for me, plus it is cheating. To others it is not.

Back
Top Bottom