White Sport Cream Legbars

Pics
All my whites so far have been roos, Would love to get an all white pullet.

The one pullet I have is out of some eggs my sister hatched . She has a few dark feathers on her making me wonder if she is really a white sport or something else. Has anyone else had white sports showing a few dark feathers like a splash?

Not in my limited experience with white sports; purchased from other CL breeders and hatched from my own CL stock.
So far the recessive white sport Cream Legbars have been a lovely clean white with no staining (i.e. no yellowish feathers which I have on other dominant white as well as splash birds), no dark feathers like a leaky dominant white, and no dark feathers like a splash (I have examples of all of those in my flock).

Does she have all the other typical characteristics of a CL? Crest, yellow legs, body shape, blue eggs?

Sex away......

Iʻm stumped!

Anyone?

I haven't had great luck either. I usually need to see the whole back to make out the chipmunk stripes which are usually a little darker shade of yellow on the females...
Some of the head spot action seems to be related to the crest and not specifically to the barring / auto sexing element.

Last edited:
Not in my limited experience with white sports; purchased from other CL breeders and hatched from my own CL stock.
So far the recessive white sport Cream Legbars have been a lovely clean white with no staining (i.e. no yellowish feathers which I have on other dominant white as well as splash birds), no dark feathers like a leaky dominant white, and no dark feathers like a splash (I have examples of all of those in my flock).

Does she have all the other typical characteristics of a CL? Crest, yellow legs, body shape, blue eggs?
The chick was only a few weeks old when I posted the question. I had received her from my sister and was wishfully thinking she might be a white sport. I know now that she is not a white sport Legbar. I now believe she is a (white sport Legbar x Black Copper Marans) backcrossed to the Legbar. Though she doent have the feathered legs previous chicks had, and they didnt have any dark feathers. To be honest it was the lack of feathered feet that made me think she could be a WS and ask the question.

Time to post in this thread so I get the automatic subscription and remember to keep up...

I hatched out a single white sport hen last year and was immediately interested in seeing if I could produce my own line of all whites...

Anyway, pairing that single hen up with two potential white sport carrying roosters this year resulted in me getting 8 more white sports, 4 pullets and 4 cockerels (out of 12 eggs set) so no I have some birds to line breed with as well as continuing to seeking some outside lineage to mix in...

A wave to sol2go, Next year I plan to breed some of the birds I got from you back to the white sports I hatched this year and see if any of them are white carriers to mix up the lineage...

Time to post in this thread so I get the automatic subscription and remember to keep up...

I hatched out a single white sport hen last year and was immediately interested in seeing if I could produce my own line of all whites...

Anyway, pairing that single hen up with two potential white sport carrying roosters this year resulted in me getting 8 more white sports, 4 pullets and 4 cockerels (out of 12 eggs set) so no I have some birds to line breed with as well as continuing to seeking some outside lineage to mix in...

A wave to sol2go, Next year I plan to breed some of the birds I got from you back to the white sports I hatched this year and see if any of them are white carriers to mix up the lineage...

Nice job! 4 and 4!

Good luck on expanding your flock!

Sounds like we have the same plans.

Aloha,

I think that the white sports are beautiful, but they are so hard to sex. Autosexing is one of the main things that led me to Cream Legbars.

Aloha, Puhi

I am curious as to how important auto-sexing is in the White sports to each of you. I also do not understand the desire to autosex in any breed.

I understand doing it because you can, but does it really have a purpose in most breeds. If a meat breed like the CX's did it I could understand, you could feed them differently house the breeds separately for maximum feed conversion.

But in a Sub-breed like White sports I see no reason for it.

Are you a "consumer" of chicks from hatcheries? Are you a breeder? I am a breeder, I have a NPIP hatchery, I sold a ton of CLB's last spring. I try to practice no kill hatching. To me this means I have a ton of CLB roosters I am fattening for a date with the freezer in Oct. To the person buying my CLB pullets, they have paid more than they would have if they were not autosexing. I sold them at 15 bucks apiece I would rather have sold them at 5 bucks each and sold all of them instead of keeping half.

I sold the boys at 5 bucks apiece to those wanting one. In retrospect I should have charged 20 bucks for the boys, after all I still will be feeding a ton of roosters. The person wanting a rooster "needed" one to breed their own birds.

If you buy from a large hatchery you are simply contributing to genocide of the boys. They do not even live one day. I am not making a judgment call I am just curious.

Also in my opinion on most breeds the roosters are the eye candy they hens are just chickens. I plan to try and sell some white sports this spring. I will not sex them even if they can be sexed.

Also here is a picture of one of my boys: As I said before I have more boys than girls. They are beautiful birds.

Thanks for indulging me.

I am curious as to how important auto-sexing is in the White sports to each of you.     I also do not understand the desire to autosex in any breed. 

I understand doing it because you can, but does it really have a purpose in most breeds.

Yes, it has a purpose if it didn't it would not be a desirable trait and hatcheries would not employ sexers...

Fact is not everyone can have roosters, especially in many 'backyard' communities so being able to get 100% hens is a blessing to those people and they will willfully pay more for that confirmation, plus for those that want eggs only and no free loaders being able to get get 100% hens is also blessing to them...

I understand you 'negative' side of the equation as a 'breeder' but that doesn't negate the positive side of the equation for the consumer or buyer... The fact is as a breeder you have to sell what the consumer wants or else the consumer wont' buy, if they want hens being able to sex them yourself at day one and offer what they want is a positive...

Yes, it has a purpose if it didn't it would not be a desirable trait and hatcheries would not employ sexers...

Fact is not everyone can have roosters, especially in many 'backyard' communities so being able to get 100% hens is a blessing to those people and they will willfully pay more for that confirmation, plus for those that want eggs only and no free loaders being able to get get 100% hens is also blessing to them...

I understand you 'negative' side of the equation as a 'breeder' but that doesn't negate the positive side of the equation for the consumer or buyer... The fact is as a breeder you have to sell what the consumer wants or else the consumer wont' buy, if they want hens being able to sex them yourself at day one and offer what they want is a positive...

Thanks, I am not sure I agree, but I really thank you for your opinion.

The large hatcheries killing millions of baby boys does bother me though, I am becoming a softy in old age.

I hope to get more...Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom