White Sport Cream Legbars

Pics
The large hatcheries killing millions of baby boys

Pretty much proof positive that the ability to sex is quite important to the industry and consumers/buyers overall...

I know around me at the poultry swaps for autosexing breeds, many of the seller pretty much force people to take a rooster as a trio lot or pay a huge premium for just the two hens, it's just business...

Pretty much proof positive that the ability to sex is quite important to the industry and consumers/buyers overall...

I know around me at the poultry swaps for autosexing breeds, many of the seller pretty much force people to take a rooster as a trio lot or pay a huge premium for just the two hens, it's just business...

I understand that, however, I find it personally distasteful. Much as a person that buys their food from a butcher shop or meat market, it is a business but it is murder for hire to me. I prefer to slaughter my own meats just so I always know an animal dies when I eat and get nourishment.

When a hatchery kills millions of cockerels it is simply killing behind closed doors so the consumer can pretend they had no part in the animals death. As I said, we will not agree on it. but I enjoy learning your views. I wish more would share theirs.

When a hatchery kills millions of cockerels it is simply killing behind closed doors so the consumer can pretend they had no part in the animals death. 

That is how it goes, a vast majority of the population is willfully ignorant of where there food comes from... But in the end are you not as guilty of the same 'behind doors killing' as a hatchery when you sell hens to your consumers and keep the cocks to be culled later? I know you are not killing them at day one but you are still killing them on behalf of the customer that didn't want it so the end result is essentially the same, the rooster gets culled behind closed doors and the consumer is willfully ignorant...

[VIDEO]

That is how it goes, a vast majority of the population is willfully ignorant of where there food comes from... But in the end are you not as guilty of the same 'behind doors killing' as a hatchery when you sell hens to your consumers and keep the cocks to be culled later? I know you are not killing them at day one but you are still killing them on behalf of the customer that didn't want it so the end result is essentially the same, the rooster gets culled behind closed doors and the consumer is willfully ignorant...

To a degree, I could agree, however, I do not buy 150 CX's anymore to process, I process the birds myself and with my family for our own use. So in that way we are different. The life of my birds, I do not sell, is not for nothing and they do not end up in a dumpster. they end up in our freezers.

I just finished the video. It is because of these things and because, I do not want to be a willfull participant that I do not buy meat in a store. Ever! I buy live animals, raise my own or hunt them.

Edited after I watched the video and made the last comment.

Last edited:
is not for nothing and they do not end up in a dumpster. they end up in our freezers.

A vast majority of culled birds end up as animal feed, in animal feed and/or as fertilizer so it's not 'for nothing'... Many animal sanctuaries, rescues and zoos depend on this cheap source of food, and many farmers depend on the cheap fertilizer, it's all part of the cycle of efficiency...

Last edited:
A vast majority of culled birds end up as animal feed, in animal feed and/or as fertilizer so it's not 'for nothing'... Many animal sanctuaries, rescues and zoos depend on this cheap source of food, and many farmers depend on the cheap fertilizer, it's all part of the cycle of efficiency...

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this. To me that is for nothing. Killing 1,000 birds for a bag of animal feed is not good to me.

To me that is for nothing. Killing 1,000 birds for a bag of animal feed is not good to me.

Well it is something even if you deny it to be something... Fact is you don't need to kill 1000 birds for a bag of animal feed, you are appealing to extremes and worse they are not being killed for animal feed, they are killed because they are an unfortunate byproduct of low cost mass produced food, something that by far is a good cause that benefits a large portion of the population in the end... The cold blunt reality is that no one wants them but at least they are used for a good purpose and a purpose that benefits others in the end and that is the opposite of nothing in my book... For example a single chick will feed smaller animals like snakes, lizards and raptors, while several will feed larger animals, thus what would be a waste would be another food source for these animals instead of using what is already available aka the day old chicks... I know this very well as I sold exotic animals for a living for many years, at the time I would purchase day old chicks by the 100s to use as food for my 'pets' as they were much cheaper than mice and rats, it was not for nothing it was for something... And even now I have been known to cull some of my young and old roosters to feed to feed to my exotic pet(s) vs investing in mice, rats and rabbits... And there is no shortage of people that enjoy the benefits of lower cost animal feeds for their pet dogs and cats... As my 6 year old daughter says "It's the circle of life"...

And lets face the reality of it, raising them to an older age equates to even less return in the end, thus if killing them at day one is for 'nothing' where does that leave them at a later age with even less returns? The time, energy, space and food to raise them all adds up quite fast and can't be ignored if you are being honest....

We also have to look at the scope of the chicken industry and be realistic, about the bigger picture... In the US we produce about 50 billion eggs a year for human consumption, if we assume 350 eggs a bird per year, that means there are approximately 143 million commercial laying hens, if we assume a 50/50 sex split at hatch that means there are 143 million unwanted roosters hatched each year give or take, we could shave that down as hens are not rotated in and out every year but there are loses every year as well as incidentals like backyard chickens as well so it's probably not far off... Even if we split up them across all 50 states that would still be almost 3 million unwanted roosters per state, that is a lot unwanted birds... Now we all know how hard it is to get rid of even a single rooster at any age, so where is one to find homes for 143 million unwanted roosters that won't produce any viable return on investment even if they are given to a farmer for free?

I fully understand you might not agree with the practice of day one culling, but I will argue all day that it's not for nothing when in the end it benefits and serves a legit purpose and use, even if you don't like or agree with that benefit, purpose and use gap the day one culling fills...

Last edited:
Again, we will disagree. Anytime a living creature is thought of as a byproduct, we are in a sad place. Finding a use for their bodies is not the same thing as being useful. Let's be honest if it is simply the need for fertilizer, lets use the egg before it hatches. Before it is a life.

Feeding them for 5 months is giving them a life, albeit a short one, but a good one. If the cost was the only matter to me of my food, I would not raise a garden, or a hog. I would not by a cow from a farm where they are pastured. I would by them from a factory farm through Walmart or some other retailer. I an not naïve enough to think I make one iota of difference to the world or economy as a whole, but I make my segment, my immediate area a better place.

Regardless of what the rest of the world does I will not kill one day old chicks. To me it is similar to the killing of girl babies in China, they are a byproduct. I am not equating humans to chicks, I am saying it is on the same road. Killing the unwanted for vanity.

Personally, I think a place that does not allow roosters is not a place to live. I have lived in such places and will never be there again. Listening to some yappy little dog, but not being able to hear the beautiful song of a rooster.

As far as my 1,000 for a bag of fertilizer. If a new chick weighs 1.5 ounces, it would take 1,200 to fill a bag.

I would have no problem selling a chick as feed for a reptile, or pet. I very well understand the circle of life. Chickens happen to be on one of the lower rungs of the food chain. That does not mean to me, I can just ignore they are one of God's creatures. I will not kill it without a purpose. I am also quite aware of the hypocrisy you can find in that view when I kill a mosquito. I can live with that.

Can you imagine the out cry if a kennel killed all female pups the day they were born? Because Males sell better. ( I have no idea if boy or girl dog sells better, just using it as an example people would protest as it is a similar comparison.)

I am going to not respond to anything more on this from you, We will simply disagree. We are getting way into tangents and too far down a rabbit hole for this thread. If you wanted to start another thread for this, I would be interested in continuing to debate it there.

I want to thank you for your good debate on this. I enjoy the way you conducted it without letting me or yourself take it to a low disrespectful level.

I am still interested on others reasons for wanting a auto sexing white sport.

Thanks MeepBeep! Have a good one.

PS..

This paragraph is a great argument I really have no response for:

We also have to look at the scope of the chicken industry and be realistic, about the bigger picture... In the US we produce about 50 billion eggs a year for human consumption, if we assume 350 eggs a bird per year, that means there are approximately 143 million commercial laying hens, if we assume a 50/50 sex split at hatch that means there are 143 million unwanted roosters hatched each year give or take, we could shave that down as hens are not rotated in and out every year but there are loses every year as well as incidentals like backyard chickens as well so it's probably not far off... Even if we split up them across all 50 states that would still be almost 3 million unwanted roosters per state, that is a lot unwanted birds... Now we all know how hard it is to get rid of even a single rooster at any age, so where is one to find homes for 143 million unwanted roosters that won't produce any viable return on investment even if they are given to a farmer for free?

However, I still do not have to embrace or partake of this disgusting (in my mind) practice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom