White spots on egg?

LizaHenelli

Chirping
Aug 17, 2021
Hello everyone! My girls started laying last week. I am getting about two eggs a day since most of them are not ready just yet, but I just found this egg from a new hen (her first egg) outside the nesting box. It’s bigger than the ones the Sussex have been giving me, but it’s covered in spots. Is she okay? Is this egg okay? I am worried. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 54BEB5D0-75DC-418A-B580-7F880B350DBB.jpeg
    54BEB5D0-75DC-418A-B580-7F880B350DBB.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 6FA1A366-222F-4C8F-94E1-4310C65133A3.jpeg
    6FA1A366-222F-4C8F-94E1-4310C65133A3.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 10
Oh no! Not the dreaded speckled egg syndrome! ;)

Your girl is just practicing for laying Easter Eggs...

Okay. I've had enough fun. Spots are perfectly normal. You can have a brown egg with dark spots or light ones and I've had plenty of both. Your example is pretty extreme in terms of the quantity of spots, but nothing at all to worry about. Just consider it a bit of variety in the eggs you collect.

Hello everyone! My girls started laying last week. I am getting about two eggs a day since most of them are not ready just yet, but I just found this egg from a new hen (her first egg) outside the nesting box. It’s bigger than the ones the Sussex have been giving me, but it’s covered in spots. Is she okay? Is this egg okay? I am worried. Thanks in advance!
She is fine. It is a normal new layer glitch. Totally edible too. I have never had speckles being a problem. So I would guess it is quite rare for it to be one. It can be caused by uneven coating, excess calcium, or just basically a glitch in their system.

Beautiful egg....nothing wrong with your chicken you will get all kinds of strange eggs till there first winter when they slow down......and then ever now and then

She is fine. It is a normal new layer glitch. Totally edible too. I have never had speckles being a problem. So I would guess it is quite rare for it to be one. It can be caused by uneven coating, excess calcium, or just basically a glitch in their system.
LOL glitchy lady. I wonder why she decided to lay where she did. The others have been using the boxes without issues and yesterday I changed the bedding so the coop is extra comfy, and she just decided she’d lay the egg next to the water. I hope that’s also a new layer thing because if they start laying where they go spend their day out in the open Im going to be hunting eggs all day 🤣

LOL glitchy lady. I wonder why she decided to lay where she did. The others have been using the boxes without issues and yesterday I changed the bedding so the coop is extra comfy, and she just decided she’d lay the egg next to the water. I hope that’s also a new layer thing because if they start laying where they go spend their day out in the open Im going to be hunting eggs all day 🤣
Yes, it is quite normal. I like to add extra hay into the nesting boxes when I have new layers, too.

I also get odd eggs from new layers and sometimes from old layers or layers who have not laid for a while.

Young hens need to figure out what is happening. It can be the 2nd or 3rd egg before they figure out what "that feeling" is and that they should go to that nice comfortable spot (nest box) where others thought it was safe enough to lay. That is why a lot of people use dummy eggs when their young hens are about ready to lay.

Once they get the idea, then they will only very rarely lay elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom