White spots on processed chicken breast?

Jessica241

Songster
5 Years
Oct 22, 2018
Hi all! We don’t process our own birds but we buy frozen chicken breasts in bulk from a local farm, in the last box we bought all of the chicken breasts have these white spots on them. They were there before we thawed them, i’m taking them back to the shop today because it looks concerning but I have tried to research online to figure out what it is And can’t find anything-
Has anybody seen something like this before?

Attachments

• 9E55E456-5987-4978-A1C5-33E96CE57988.jpeg
    9E55E456-5987-4978-A1C5-33E96CE57988.jpeg
    529.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 16CB3B9B-7D19-4B92-8AD5-6673E97628A0.jpeg
    16CB3B9B-7D19-4B92-8AD5-6673E97628A0.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 108
Hi all! We don’t process our own birds but we buy frozen chicken breasts in bulk from a local farm, in the last box we bought all of the chicken breasts have these white spots on them. They were there before we thawed them, i’m taking them back to the shop today because it looks concerning but I have tried to research online to figure out what it is And can’t find anything-
https://au.news.yahoo.com/aldi-shoppers-stumped-by-white-dots-on-chicken-094634811.html

https://en.engormix.com/MA-poultry-industry/news/what-are-these-white-t13380/p0.htm

i’m taking them back to the shop today because it looks concerning but I have tried to research online to figure out what it is And can’t find anything-
Might also want to take a sample to your public health agency.. USDA or whoever is regulating the sell in your area.. At least give them a call. The supplier may not care enough or be able to get testing or take proper action.

I've never seen it YET. And that's not what freezer burn looks like in my experience, which I have seen plenty.

Hope you get answers and stay safe! :fl

I found something like this in one of the chickens I butchered a while back. I don’t know what it was and I didn’t eat that chicken.

I know this is a few weeks old, but one thing to consider is that I always see game wardens put out that if you butcher a duck during hunting season and it has white spots on the meat to report it immediately
. White spots can also be a sign of avian tuberculosis and parasites.

I know this is a few weeks old, but one thing to consider is that I always see game wardens put out that if you butcher a duck during hunting season and it has white spots on the meat to report it immediately
. White spots can also be a sign of avian tuberculosis and parasites.
Since mine was one of my own birds, I definitely thought about what I should do. The only reason I didn’t take it to the state lab is because I had already had a bird diagnosed with MG, MS & coryza so I was in the process of culling the whole flock. None of the rest of my 50+ birds, had anything like it so I decided in my case that it wasn’t contagious.

I would definitely be concerned if I found it like that after purchasing meat like the OP did. In that case I guess complaining to the seller is the only recourse.

Back
Top Bottom