white stuff... normal?

mbq

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 31, 2009
I have a buff orp hen. She's about a year old, low chick on the list but seems happy enough. However, she has some white stuff (looks like powder) on her comb. As far as I know, she's thrifty otherwise. Thoughts?

Last edited:
My BOs, some of them , look like they have 'dry skin.' The weather has been miserable, and I have dry skin too. However, some do not. The ones that look scurfy are moulting. I will watch this thread and see if I need to be concerned, but I thought a little lotion might make me feel better about them. They probably don't care.

my MIL has had chickens with similar symptoms which turned out to be a case of thrush. If this is what it is some ACV would probably help as would washing and thoroughly drying the area

Quote:
You might try bag balm instead of lotion. Not Udder butter (the stuff in the cow pattern you can get at Wal-mart) but the stuff that is thick more like vaseline and comes in a sqaure green tin can. That stuff is awesome. I got mine at CVS

very possibly a moldy chicken you've got there! (I had some on some Japanese I got) You can use atheletes foot cream, or betadine. Both work well.

Did you ever find out what it was ?? Its been cold here and i've noticed some stuff that looks like white mold or dust on my hen and roo but no dark spots i keep a heat light on for them and there house is insulated just wondering i thought about washing it with some dawn dishwashing liquid and vasoline it what do you think

Same here with all of our chickens except for one of the younger roosters. They all have very dry skin under their feathers as well (dandruff, etc...) It mostly goes away in the summer because in the winter it's so dry and it makes they combs, wattles, and skin terribly dry. Would normal vaseline help? Or maybe even aloe lotion?

Back
Top Bottom