White tissue expelled from vent

PACloud

Hatching
Aug 4, 2021
We have a 1 year old freedom ranger. She is a good tempered chicken and a family favorite in the flock. She was missing last night at turn in time. We found her hiding in the flower bush. When she eventually got up she expelled a large (2-3”) pc of tissue from her vent. Image attached. She is a rather large hen and does not roost so she always has a messy butt. Today I bathed her so that I could inspect the vent and it does not seem to be prolapsed. She is drinking water. She is walking around lethargically. She is pooping white liquid with green…and there is almost a whistle noise when going. She is currently separated from most of the flock with the exception of her two “sisters” on fresh shavings. I hate to see her suffer! Any ideas?

Attachments

• 312BE70A-302D-4223-8859-D44F90B259BF.jpeg
    312BE70A-302D-4223-8859-D44F90B259BF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • DCC61338-D527-4EEC-A870-EB092F8AEC27.jpeg
    DCC61338-D527-4EEC-A870-EB092F8AEC27.jpeg
    834 KB · Views: 20
  • AAD63007-5B67-4AF6-889C-A668C579BD46.jpeg
    AAD63007-5B67-4AF6-889C-A668C579BD46.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
That could be a collapsed egg membrane, but if you cut it open, it might be lash egg material. Since she is a broiler chicken, they are meant to be butchered at a young age, although they grow slower than the cornish cross meat birds. They can have leg issues, and suffer from heart attacks and other problems. Her crop looks very large, and her lower belly between the legs looks enlarged as well. Does that seem like fluid in her belly or is she just meaty? Pooping green poop could be that she is not eating normally.

That could be a collapsed egg membrane, but if you cut it open, it might be lash egg material. Since she is a broiler chicken, they are meant to be butchered at a young age, although they grow slower than the cornish cross meat birds. They can have leg issues, and suffer from heart attacks and other problems. Her crop looks very large, and her lower belly between the legs looks enlarged as well. Does that seem like fluid in her belly or is she just meaty? Pooping green poop could be that she is not eating normally.
Thank you for your insight! It was a very soft almost rolled up tissue material. Could be Yes, we were given 6 freedom rangers and told they are dual purpose. There are 3/6 remaining. She doesn’t seem to have any leg issues at the moment. She typically gets around very well. The freedom rangers are much slower moving than the rest of our egg-laying hens.
Thank you for your insight! It was a very soft almost rolled up tissue material. Could be a collapsed egg membrane! Is that in itself fatal? Any advice on her care? We were given 6 freedom rangers and told they are dual purpose. There are 3/6 remaining. She doesn’t seem to have any leg issues at the moment. She typically gets around very well. The freedom rangers are much slower moving than the rest of our egg-laying hens. I am not sure about her crop. I’ll check it out tomorrow. She is very meaty!

Being a meat chicken, she may have a large crop. It should empty overnight by early morning before she eats again. If you cut open the thing that she expelled, if it looks more like a lash egg, that can be from salpingitis. If it is a collapsed egg membrane, it could be from a calcium deficiency, or a reproductive disorder. In that case, you could try giving her a human calcium with vitamin D tablet for a few days to see if her egg shells become hard. If an egg collapsed or ruptured inside, that can be a set-up for infection.

Do you still have the stuff that came out of her? If so can you cut it in half and get a clear photo?

Also...what exactly do you feed?
I ask because regular treats can lead to overweightness which can cause all kinds of serious laying illnesses.

Do you still have the stuff that came out of her? If so can you cut it in half and get a clear photo?
I don’t and my husband tossed it :(
Would she still be lethargic if it were the collapsed egg membrane? You are tremendously helpful. Thank you!

Also...what exactly do you feed?
I ask because regular treats can lead to overweightness which can cause all kinds of serious laying illnesses.
They don’t get many treats. They enjoy fruit for treats mostly. Occasionally some carbs but there are 16 chickens so they don’t get much.

Hens that lay broken eggs or pass membranes can be lethargic and feel lousy. They usually feel better once they recover or start laying hard shells again. If she lays another one of those or has strange egg, she might feel lethargic once again. The calcium with D3 can help if she is calcium deficient.

Back
Top Bottom