White Tube Like Thing Hanging From Hens Vent!!

Kenzi Green Design

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2019
North Carolina (NC)
Not sure what to do or what this is. (Graphic photo ahead)

I researched a lot but there are so many different possibilities, it does however resemble an intestine in my opinion.
View attachment 1970604

Attachments

• F1785E72-C00B-4BA9-82A1-3DA5BB489B7F.jpeg
    F1785E72-C00B-4BA9-82A1-3DA5BB489B7F.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 346
Yes she actually just started laying about 2 weeks ago.
All her eggs have been 'normal'?
Looks like a funky egg.
Is she in any distress?
Hopefully it will pass soon.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

An extra dose of calcium might help it pass.
@azygous is good at this stuff.

All her eggs have been 'normal'?
Looks like a funky egg.
Is she in any distress?
Hopefully it will pass soon.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

An extra dose of calcium might help it pass.
@azygous is good at this stuff.
Yes all normal eggs! She doesn’t seem in any distress just not really eating or walking around as much as usual.

Been feeding finisher/grower dumor layer crumbles with occasional snack of meal worms or scratch. Today we just bought the regular layer crumble for laying hens.

You can put that white rubbery thing on the list of freaky, disgusting things that can come out of a hen's butt. If you dissect it once the hen completely expels it, you should find it's more of an elongated, collapsed egg membrane with perhaps a little albumen inside. All it really is is an attempt at an egg and near miss, a one-off thing that means little in the larger scheme of things.

When I see something like that, especially if the hen is acting as if she's in some discomfort (hanging out in the nest or in a corner not being active), I give her a whole calcium tablet, your choice of citrate, carbonate or gluconate, to help strengthen her contractions so she can more easily expel the last of the strange stuff. If it stretches into a second or third day, and it could if some of the material has lodged inside her, continue the one-a-day calcium until she begins acting herself again.

You can put that white rubbery thing on the list of freaky, disgusting things that can come out of a hen's butt. If you dissect it once the hen completely expels it, you should find it's more of an elongated, collapsed egg membrane with perhaps a little albumen inside. All it really is is an attempt at an egg and near miss, a one-off thing that means little in the larger scheme of things.

When I see something like that, especially if the hen is acting as if she's in some discomfort (hanging out in the nest or in a corner not being active), I give her a whole calcium tablet, your choice of citrate, carbonate or gluconate, to help strengthen her contractions so she can more easily expel the last of the strange stuff. If it stretches into a second or third day, and it could if some of the material has lodged inside her, continue the one-a-day calcium until she begins acting herself again.
Great thank you! Will do

Hi! I had the same thing happen and was really freaked out about it. It looked like intestines to me too... but as I examined it, I had also felt like it was the membrane of an egg. It was almost all the way out when I saw it & I grabbed a plastic bag that was close by (sorry for the dirty gross bag) to kind of grab it off. In case is was intestines or something I only pulled super lightly to see if it would come off easily, and it did. The end I'm holding with the stick was the end that was still in her. She seems fine/normal otherwise. She is about 6 months old and newly laying eggs. This article makes me feel a lot better. I thought these pictures might also help others, as well as putting them here in case anyone could give me more insight.

Attachments

• 20240124_140800.jpg
    20240124_140800.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240124_140811.jpg
    20240124_140811.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240124_140829.jpg
    20240124_140829.jpg
    796.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240124_140847.jpg
    20240124_140847.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240124_140849.jpg
    20240124_140849.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 65
She seems fine/normal otherwise. She is about 6 months old and newly laying eggs.
Yes, that's a membrane.
It's good that she was able to expel that with your help.
With being a new layer, this is probably just a glitch, but I'd keep watch on her for a few days to see if she has any more trouble.

Provide oyster shell free choice for your laying flock and a nutritionally balanced poultry feed.

Back
Top Bottom