White vs Brown eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by K-Chick, Sep 7, 2010.

1. K-Chick

K-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    NW In
    Why do people either only want white or brown? They are both farm fresh!!!! It drives me crazy. do any of the rest of you have this problem?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I was just talking about this with DH and DD yesterday. I think it is a regional thing. When I was growing up in the northeast the ad jingle was "Brown eggs are local eggs, and local eggs are fresh!" DH grew up in CA and the first time he saw brown eggs he thought they were rotten. [​IMG] We usually only saw white eggs in the grocery store around Easter so we could color them.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

A couple of my (few) customers have come to me, by word of mouth that I'm selling eggs, and asked, "They're brown eggs, right?"

I reply truthfully: Some of them are. I have a backyard flock of many different breeds which freely range on the acre property and they all lay different colored eggs. There is NO difference in taste or nutrition between any of the colors, that's just the egg shell color from the breed. You will get 3 different shades of brown from light tan to very dark brown, a couple of white eggs, and a couple of green eggs in each dozen.

"Green eggs??!?!?!" Yup. So when they get their first dozen, and I show them the opened carton before I take the money for it, everybody has been thrilled.

Very few people ask if the eggs are fertile; sometimes I offer the information, sometimes not. I will tell them I have a rooster and have hatched one of the green eggs.... and that pullet will also lay green eggs when she gets older.

4. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Because they are pretty and they cost more in the grocery store.

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    [​IMG] Yeah these people crack me up! I also chuckle when they think that the brown eggs at the store are the same thing as the brown that we have. Just the degeneration of the "civilized, modern world" that we all live in.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I had a customer that refused EE eggs--if they were blue he wouldn't take them. Then I had another that only wanted blue eggs, he was convinced they were nutritionally better. Together they licked the platter clean.

7. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    My Grandpaw REFUSES to eat the blue/green eggs. Because they are "poison".

I have customers who really LOVE the Blue/Green eggs and the dark brown (marans) eggs are even better! I even have customers who like the little pullet eggs because of their cute little yolks. I even had one that I had to round out her dozen with a silkie egg and it was a double yolker! I try to keep a variety of egg colors in each dozen that I sell and everyone is always so happy to see what I have in there. They love the variety of colors.

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    why did the customers want the blue/green ones...my friends and customers love them.

As far as the question of brown vs. white, I think honestly it's because ppl. equate the white eggs as being store eggs and therefore are not chickens that we could have also. The see them as being lg. poultry house eggs only. For years I never knew what a white egg was outside of the store...I did not know ppl. could raise chickens that had white eggs on the farm. It's the same thing..you live you learn you grow from wisdom.

9. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    My Mom lives in senior only community and the majority of them are rural farm raised and they all know each other from years past. Mom wanted a dozen brown eggs for a friend who loves brown eggs. Well to make it short, I now have a lucrative little set up selling brown eggs to the seniors. I deliv er to Mom and she distributes. After expenses the rest goes into my Grandsons saving account. He's 3 and soon will have to split it with his soon to arrive baby sister. Who'd a thunk it! This is why I have to get 50 more peeps in the spring.

10. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:so you are saying they want the brown eggs because they grew up with them? Congrats. on the soon to have new arrival. Grandmothers are the 'BEST'. Mine died 2 years ago and there is not a day I don't think about her and there are times when i still pick up the phone to call her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by