Whitewashing?

vatterpa

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Indiana, PA
Does anyone have a good recipe for making whitewash? I'm going to whitewash the inside of my coop adn I need to figure out how to make it. I have garden lime, can I use it to make it?

Any help appreciated.

me too...
caf.gif

I found this recipe, which sounds simple enough. I might use it for my new coop.

Calcium Hydroxide is an agricultural product used to modify soil properties and should be available quite cheaply (about $6 Canadian for 20kg) in a farm or agricultural supply depot.

Solution 1: Soak 3 kg Hydrated Lime (Calcium Hydroxide) in 8 litres water overnight to make a thick, creamy paste. This allows the calcium into the water and is referred to as 'slaked lime,' which is the basis for house plaster.

Solution 2: Totally dissolve 2 kg table salt in 10 litres water. The salt adds 'body' so that the whitewash will wear well.

When ready to apply, drain excess water from Solution 1 and thoroughly mix enough of Solution 2 into all of Solution 1 to achieve the desired consistency. Thicker is better than thin as you cannot thicken the end product by adding more calcium.

Thin with water if required, but do not thicken by adding more calcium as the added calcium must soak (slake) properly before using.

1 kg powdered animal glue may be added to improve adhesion and wearability. May be tinted with a water-based media if desired.

I have garden lime, can I use it to make it?

That's not the same as "hydrated" lime.

Whitewash is what people used before there were good paints available​

Also keep in mind with the recipes that call for salt, that salt will corrode metal. So be careful if it is going to be up against your pricey hardware cloth.

I found this mix on several of the pages I came across when searching "Homemade Whitewash":

COUNTRYSIDE: Maybe some people can't afford to buy paint for their outbuildings and wood fences. I have a solution for them: it's called Dehydrated Lime White Wash, or White Wash.

Recipe:
1 gallon water
1 lb. salt or 2 cups
5 lbs. lime
Mix good in a pail.

You might need a little more water, but test it on a piece of wood first before adding any. Let the piece of wood dry to tell if it's white enough.

Twelve years ago my sister and I painted her chicken coop with this white wash--it looked just like white paint. Her doubtful husband couldn't believe the good results.--Jean S., California

I know that hydrated isn't the same, but it is what I have and I would rather not get something that I can only use for the one purpose. I was hoping I could just nick some of my dads lime for the lawn to paint the coop. I have also heard that Whitewashing adds a mild bacterial resistance and I was hoping to just be able to use this. I am building the "Mammy's 1895 Chicken House" and I would love to use a "Vintage" paint to get the inside white. I am using old blacksmith forged sliding door hard wear and "vintage" style henges and handles. I like how the lime whitewash looks and the fact I can mix just what I need.

Alright, I jsut loooked at the Tranisional Traditions blog on Grit and they whitewashed their barn with "barn lime". I thought that was what I have. What gives?

Back
Top Bottom