Whiting True blue still not laying....

Areyoucluckingme

Chirping
Jun 14, 2022
I've never had this breed before so I don't know much about them but according to Dr. Google, they typically lay around 6 months old. Well the gal I bought her from back in September said she had just reached 6 months. So now she'd be roughly 9 months and still no eggs. I know we are in middle of winter but all my other hens that came of laying age in the fall are laying.

Also, as a side question, have any of you bought Whiting True Blue's from a hatchery and they actually lay green eggs? The gal I purchased her thinks one of hers is actually laying green and not blue....

I've also searched high and low in the coop in case she's hiding the eggs but none.

I'm not familiar with the Whiting True Blue, but each pullet is different. Some of the ones that are just coming into lay will start to lay on the shortest days of the year. Others will wait for 12 hours of daylight. Hopefully your girl will lay soon.

I've never had this breed before so I don't know much about them but according to Dr. Google, they typically lay around 6 months old. Well the gal I bought her from back in September said she had just reached 6 months. So now she'd be roughly 9 months and still no eggs. I know we are in middle of winter but all my other hens that came of laying age in the fall are laying.

Also, as a side question, have any of you bought Whiting True Blue's from a hatchery and they actually lay green eggs? The gal I purchased her thinks one of hers is actually laying green and not blue....

I've also searched high and low in the coop in case she's hiding the eggs but none.
My little flock of 8 consists of 5 pullets supposedly 15-20 weeks old when I got them in June, including a Whiting's True Blue; one Rhode Island Red about a month younger; and two Easter Eggers I'd bought as 2-day old chicks in April so much younger than the rest.

EVERYONE started laying before Martha my WTB, even the much younger EEs. Martha finally started squatting and her pubic bone spread matured in October - and at last, a lovely pale blue egg! ❤️Cute little pullet eggs at first, but once she got "in gear" she's been my most consistent layer and her eggs sized up to a solid medium.

She was very flighty and did NOT want to be touched until her hormones kicked in; but once she started squatting and laying, she DEMANDS that I stroke her back, pick her up and give her cuddles or she's annoyingly underfoot squatting in front of me around the chicken yard. She's also very curious and wants to oversee whatever I'm doing. And that slender girl can FLY! Over a 6-foot fence, easy-peasy; so our hawk net keeps hawks & owls out and Miss Martha in. We call her "the midwife" because she watches the other girls lay, then sings her loud, distinctive egg song when anyone else lays, too. 🤣 She's become one of my very favorites of the flock.

It's a rare day, even in the depths of winter, that there's no blue egg in the nest box. I'd guess maybe 5 or 6 a week. So hang in there, yours may well be a Martha-in-waiting! (Of course, there's lots of individual variation, so "your mileage may vary".😉) I hope your WTB turns out to be a "Martha"!

Back
Top Bottom