Whiting True Blues

None of my other birds look like this and no other whitings I’ve seen do. I’ve seen plenty of Easter Eggers that do though. I’m assuming she was just one of the extra chicks they threw in.

I may just keep her for eggs if they increase in size. She just started so I’m sure they will. The whitings eggs are starting to size up and most of them that have been laying for a couple of months are laying large eggs. That’s definitely something I’ll pay attention to while breeding them.

Going into the third year soon for my Whiting's and am pleased with them. There does seem to be a bit of genetic variability/unstableness in the breed from my observations. I have a bird that lays olive colored eggs and see others with similar observations of some egg variability and of course the color of their plumage is accurately stated as highly variable in the breed. Overall, the majority of my birds lay large beautiful light blue eggs, are easy on the feed for their high production rate of laying almost everyday and the variety of plumage is enjoyed by myself. It seems to me, that one might can expect a bird or a few when purchasing new chicks 20 to 30 at a time, that do not match the other birds expected egg coloration. Seems to be commonly mentioned , no scientific study , just my observations. I don't mind a few olive or other color layers in the group, so long as most perform as they seem to do for me! My olive colored egg layer lays the largest eggs of the group, consistently, with some extra large eggs. My Thanks to Dr. Whiting and MMH!

I have noticed my whiting true blue chicks are voracious little feeders of chick crumble. They really get excited and pig out at the feeder. I was worried one night because their crops looked abnormally large. Maybe it’s because there is 9 chicks together and they get into a frenzy.
They're busy little porkers, aren't they? 😂 🥰 Look at those bulging crops!

Getting ready to incubate a few and see how fertility is looking.

Attachments

• IMG_6754.jpeg
    IMG_6754.jpeg
    582.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom