Whiting True Blues

I did not get a rooster with my WTBs so I will be ordering more soon. I have to wait until I have more space for birds. I would like to keep a rooster and sustain the flock when I can refurbish and redesign an old sheep shed. Currently they run with my Welsummer rooster and his girls. The birds have a place in my egg plan. They don't like to be handled but are not too skittish and sit on a perch and talk to me face to face for a moment frequently and are beautiful varied plumaged little birds. I also have a couple partridge cochins and a big hulking rooster that is a Oliver Hardy character, a few buff Orpingtons and a handfull of black Minorcas hens, currently. My two small coops and runs are near capacity for a safe flock number. The mostly blue or sometimes olive eggs look great with the dark brown speckled Welsummer eggs and a few white eggs from the Minorcas set them all off. I hope to have coops for 4 breeds. My mixed layer flocks have been varied, fun and productive ,usually, over the years. However, I have only kept a couple breeds of roosters for my favorites at that time. I will be hatching out a new batch of Welsummers this spring, hopefully twelve to twenty females in the hatch. My last hatch of 23 chicks only nine hens! Some culling likely this year. So far the Whiting True Blues have kept up a great laying record and makes me wish I had got more. When they start to fail the girls are subject to culling , if they have not gotten to me somehow, like being friendly ,etc., it is easier. I have not eaten one yet and wonder if they might be like a white leghorn or a Ameracauna. At Three or four years old they are soup or dog food around here.

It’s going pretty good, I only set a dozen blue eggs, the rest are Marans. I’m still midhatch so hopefully more tonight and tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_6855.jpeg
    IMG_6855.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6850.jpeg
    IMG_6850.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 11
I fudged up when I put them in the brooder and forgot to band the whitings. I only know one for sure because it’s chipmunk striped instead of blue/black/splash or wheaten. I guess time will tell all lol. I can’t believe I took the time to seperare them in the Hatcher and then just put them in the brooder. Such a dummy lol.

Back
Top Bottom