Who are the parents??

Cat G

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
So this little chick is the first one we hatched ever. Here's the fun - who has guesses about the momma and papa? Here are the most likely possibilities...
Papa: Barred Rock or Cooper Maran
Mama: Cuckoo maran or Silver laced Sebright (bantam) are the most likely based on the chick's coloring
She is noticeably smaller than the two Easter Egger chicks I got recently, who are within about a week of the same age. And she has looooooong wings, the tips touch under her butt. She's about 6 weeks old in the pics.

Going to be fun watching her grow and see how she looks as 20220718_185545.jpg 20220706_203726.jpg 20220718_185009.jpg she gets bigger!

Papa: Barred Rock - fairly certain on this, seeing clear barring
Momma: Silver Laced Sebright - semi-confident on this, the coloring would make sense

And yea, this is a cockerel with that big comb.

Papa: Barred Rock - fairly certain on this, seeing clear barring
Momma: Silver Laced Sebright - semi-confident on this, the coloring would make sense

And yea, this is a cockerel with that big comb.
Those were my guesses too on the parents. Hope this one gets along with my Copper Maran.

UPDATE:
As my little cockerel has grown, he's starting to show some flashes of iridescent green in his tail and at the base of some body feathers. Starting to think he may be fathered by the copper maran and not the barred rock.

He's going to be a funky chicken for sure! Sweet little thing, comes running when I approach and loves to perch on my arm and climb onto my shoulder.
20220902_201146.jpg

Back
Top Bottom